Sign in to follow this  

head light on mx bike

any one know what stuff you need to use to put a headlight on a mx bike like a yz250f because we're gonna do some night riding pretty soon so ill need a light :thumbsup:

If you're going to race the flashlight and duct take is your best bet. If not you're looking at a stator, wiring, headlight etc that will run probably $500 bucks. I would not add a headlight to a race bike if you plan on racing. If it's going to be strickly a woods/trail bike then the $$ might be justified. When i was looking at a bike that was my deciding factor. I was considering a YZ125 and KDX200. The KDX just fit my needs so much better and to get the YZ to where it needed to be, to be a decent woods bike would have cost me an extra $700+.

If you're going to race the flashlight and duct take is your best bet. If not you're looking at a stator, wiring, headlight etc that will run probably $500 bucks. I would not add a headlight to a race bike if you plan on racing. If it's going to be strickly a woods/trail bike then the $$ might be justified. When i was looking at a bike that was my deciding factor. I was considering a YZ125 and KDX200. The KDX just fit my needs so much better and to get the YZ to where it needed to be, to be a decent woods bike would have cost me an extra $700+.

yea i got the bike wanting to get into mx but then got hooked on trails but i didnt think it be around 500$ for some wire a stator and a headlight

This was from early July when i was looking for a bike, i poised the same question and got this response and it seemed pretty accurate

"In the end i'll be happy with either bike but i deffinately would want to put a light on the YZ if i get it. How easy hard is that to do?"

"Not hard, but costly. A lighthing coil for a YZ125 is close to $500, plus the lights.

One more thing. If you decide on the KDX, I would really try to negotiate the price down. $4199 is suggested retail, which I'd never pay on any bike. Add the fact that the KDX isn't really a hot seller, plus they are discontinuing that model, and you've got some room to bargain."

here's the link to the thread

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=391310&page=4&pp=10

We hooked an old fog light on brother's KTMMXC200 off hismagneto it flutters really bad but it gets the job done. I'll post some pics when I can find my camera

Just get yourself a pair of battery powered trailtech HID helmet mounts. They are a real nice setup and provide plenty of light for trail riding at night. It's a lot cheaper than modding your bike for a decent headlight, and when you sell your bike you keep the lights.

i got a good link in the yz250f forum, one guy linked me to a mountian bike site, with all kinds of lights on it, the one i wanted was $350 of coarse :thumbsup:

i got a good link in the yz250f forum, one guy linked me to a mountian bike site, with all kinds of lights on it, the one i wanted was $350 of coarse :thumbsup:

It's safe to say that any permenant light setup for a MX bike is not cheap. The lighting factor is the main reason i shyed away from the YZ and picked the KDX. Everything else to make it completely woods ready would have been minimal $$.

moose racing makes a coil and lighting kit. its a british company that makes them for all the other companies (like moose and such) but i forget the name of this british company. its simply a coil style unit. the alternative is E-line which is more expensive and more intrusive. this is how i understood things. i think ill try the duck tape and a million candlepower flashlight first to try it out.

Look at

Colorado cyclery, yes it is for Bicycles. There you can find Lithium Ion battery powered lights..They will will burn bright for a hole knight. A little expensive but worth it.