Sign in to follow this  

Just got KTM 300 EXC a few ???

Well I finally got my 2002 KTM 300EXC. I was able to ride it in Mena, Ark this weekend as I met a buddy of mine that picked it up for me. Well I have to say, me being a big fella (6'3 and 235lbs ), this bike has tons of power and the suspension actually handles my weight. It seems to have a nice smooth power curve and plenty of power when you need it.

I did notice that there was fork oil on the front end when I unloaded it from my buddies truck. I am assuming I am going to need new seals. How hard is it to replace those seals? I have done plenty on regular forks but nothing on inverted ones. On the way home I used a piece of PVC pipe to put it on the tire and under the fender so I didn't have to strap it down too hard to blow the seals anymore.

Also what should I look for as far as top end replacement? How much time on motor should I do this maintenance? Thanks for any input.............peace

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

I did notice that there was fork oil on the front end when I unloaded it from my buddies truck. I am assuming I am going to need new seals.

Clean the any grit from the seals and ride it and see if it still leaks - mine usually leaks a bit when transporting but not riding - the forks probably get torqued by the tie-down straps (am going with the foot peg tie-down next)

Regarding top end - replace piston/rings gaskets if you don't know when the previous owner did so. Ater break-in - note compression, and replace top end when compression starts to go down. As a matter of maintainace - need to clean power valve once a year - alot of guys just replace rings, or piston and rings, at that point as insurance since you have the jug off anyway. Oh yea - you have to know about the X dimension (base basket thickness that governs squish) and Z dimension (piston distance from powervalve). KTMTalk and an EBAY shop manual CD are good resources.

KTM seals are known leakers. Do as Ray said and clean them using the film method. If they still leak get Synergy seals from KTMTALK>COM and that will do it. They are easy to do with basic tools and following the instructions. I would take the top end off and clean the pv. Measure the rings and that will tell you if its worn out on top.