Sign in to follow this  

Newbie here, Rear shock question

Just picked up an 02 450r,my rear shock feels wierd, ,if i sit on it and bounce down it feels just like pre load only no dampining and when the shock comes back to the extended position theres a thunk

So its like bounce,thunk,bounce,thunk

before i start turning adjusting screws,i have a screw on the ressie and one on the botton,,Is clockwise on the screw hard or soft hard or soft ?

The screw on the reservoir is compression, and the one on the clevis(bottom) is rebound. Clockwise is hard on both, and either the shock does need a rebuild or either/both of the adjusters needs to be turned in quite a bit. I do not remember the stock settings, but I believe compression is 9-11 clicks in from full out (go counterclockwise all the way and count as you go clockwise) and rebound 8-10? Someone should chime in who knows the exact settings. If you adjust in those ranges though and it is the same then the shock needs to be serviced.

Could also be something worn out in the linkage. Check out that stuff also...

turn you rebound all they way in and the compression all the way in. then sit in it and bounce, if the shock is good it will be hard to press down and come up real slow, if its bad it will feel like a pogo stick which means you are just riding the spring. you probably got a hole in your nitrogen bladder and it leaked out the gas.

Sounds like the "thunk" is the shock topping out. It shoulden't do that while bouncing/sitting on it. Reduce the amount of preload on the spring and check to see if you can achieve the correct sag specifications.

Its an 02, the shock probably needs a rebuild. At least a fluid change. Chances are the lower shock mount bearing is shot too. And maybe a few other linkage bearings, but the shock mounts always go with just alittle neglect. Grease it every few rides and it will last forever. But who does that?

My kids bike did that in a big way - you may want to check the spokes and see if they are all snug.

Spokes are fine,

Does anybody have a recommendation of where to send the shock for service??