Sign in to follow this  

About to upgrade.. Husky maybe??

Hey all,

I know these threads pop up all the time but I am new to the whole husky thing and couldn't really find the same leap I am about to make when searching.

Anyways, I have been riding trails for about 2 years now so I am fairly green, but I love it and I am hooked. I am thinking of getting a new bike over the winter and I am seriously considering a Husky. The thing is I don't care too much about riding on the street although I can't rule that out as an option, but right now I live 30 miles from work In Sacramento and people scare me in my truck.

Regardless I have a Kawasaki 2000 KLX 300R and I like the bike. It has a couple things wrong with it IE the throttle doesn't spring back to closed so I have cruise control essentially and some other problems that come with a 6 year old bike.

My main question is how different is the ride from that bike, something obviously built for trail riding which is what I do the most of and lets say a 07' TE 450 which is what I am looking at? Is that a good leap for me?

This may be the wrong forum to ask this but what is a comparable bike from other manufactures?

Thanks in advance for the advice. I have been picking up mags but I don't see Husky represented at all in there but reading through your forum it seems to be my #1 so far.

Keep in mind, I am new... may have said like 10 dumb things in here so go easy on me :thumbsup:

The 450 will have loads more power, even the 250 has much more power than your KLX. It really depends on your size and what you are looking for in your next bike and dont rule out the TE250. The 450 is very quick and snappy and almost feels like an MX bike power wise and the stock suspension IMO is also much better than the KLX. I think the KLX300 makes a pretty good trail bike but they are just under powered, which in some situations can be a good thing. Good luck with your descision. :thumbsup:

My main question is how different is the ride from that bike, something obviously built for trail riding which is what I do the most of and lets say a 07' TE 450 which is what I am looking at? Is that a good leap for me?

This may be the wrong forum to ask this but what is a comparable bike from other manufactures?

Well, the first think to keep in mind is that the Husky TE450 is made for trail riding. Just really fast trail riding.

I bought an '05 TE450 as my first bike, and while I think it gave me some bad habits, it was really easy to ride. I don't know how much power the KLX has, but the 450 has shitloads. All over the place - you can lug it down to a walk and then dial in a bit of throttle and it'll just go. I never got above about a third throttle, and had a blast. I'm sure the '07 is the same, but better.

I ended up getting a TE250 because I was having a hard time learning on the 450, but if you've been riding for two years you shouldn't have a problem.

As for a comparable bike, think a KTM 450 EXC, or a seriously pimped out CRF450X or WR450F.

Ahh I knew I left out something.

I am 6'6" 215 (lost 50 pounds yay me)

So I am a fairly large rider.

The KTM 450 exc was the other bike I was looking at actually. But I saw more people posting on that forum about how good the Husky was so it sent me over here.

I read on the husky site that the handlebars were fully adjustable on the '07, now I am not sure what that means but it sounds like it will be good for a taller rider.

Is the 450 too much power? I can control my 300r very will and find that sometimes hitting hills I wished it had a little more power but it is very smooth. I imagine if I ever did decide to ride to work the extra power would come in handy though, and most of my friends are on CRF450xs, they e-start and haul away leaving me kicking :thumbsup:

The main thing is I know 6 years for a bike is getting up there and there is some maintenance that has to be done, so I have my heart set on a new bike, finding a dealer near me will be tough though, the ONE in sacramento listed on huskies site no longer sells them.

The Huskys are really tall. I'm 6'4" and put lower pegs and a tall seat on and was fairly happy.

The 450 is smooth - it was too much power not in that it scared me, but that it made me ride like a track day newbie on an R1 - no need to keep speed up because I could always give it more gas.

finding a dealer near me will be tough though, the ONE in sacramento listed on huskies site no longer sells them.

Motoexotica is all you need to know. :thumbsup:

At your size (about the same as me) look at the 510 also, the power delivery is smoother than the 450, very linear delivery, less snappy. I rode a TE250 today and was very suprised at how nice those motors are as well. If I was a rich guy I would have one of each.

At 6'6" you need at least a 450. The Huskys are an excellent choice for trail riding and like others have said, they are easy to control / ride. What type of trail riding do you enjoy ? Single track, fire roads, goat trails etc...? And as far as dealers go in the Sac area..............I second MotoXotica ! Dan and Anne are the best in the west.

Jerry

Motoexotica is all you need to know. :thumbsup:

Your my hero thank you I will shoot them an email tomorrow.

At 6'6" you need at least a 450. The Huskys are an excellent choice for trail riding and like others have said, they are easy to control / ride. What type of trail riding do you enjoy ? Single track, fire roads, goat trails etc...? And as far as dealers go in the Sac area..............I second MotoXotica ! Dan and Anne are the best in the west.

Mostly single tracks and fire roads those who are familiar with California riding I ride Forest Hill the most, have been to Stonyford once and lots of Prairie City before the quads get out there :ride:

Consider the TE510.

Its mellower and easier to ride than a 450. Also--you being such a big dude--it will have just enough beans to get ya down the road 2-3 years from now when you are comfortable with higher speeds.

The 450 is also a great bike. But at least consider the 510. Its counterintuitive, but the 510 is actually mellower than the faster revving 450.

They weigh the same.

Another vote for Motoexotica! They rule--and they can get ya any part ya need after ya drop it.

Super fun bikes. Highest end components. GREAT value for the price.

The KTM is also a fantastic bike.

i agree with mikekay go the 510 no weight difference more torque and heaps of power when you twist the throttle if you want.

Your my hero thank you I will shoot them an email tomorrow.

Mostly single tracks and fire roads those who are familiar with California riding I ride Forest Hill the most, have been to Stonyford once and lots of Prairie City before the quads get out there :thumbsup:

A few more things -

-Some of the people replying to this thread are REALLY REALLY good, but I am more at your skill level. Maybe a test ride?

-BigBob will hopefully speak up since he is tall and had a TE510

-Motoexotica is one of the few places around that are open on Mondays so you could just call them. They are a small 2 person type shop. They also race & ride so they have good knowledge.

-Lots of people have huskies within a few hours drive from you and ride FH at least occasionally.

What trails at FH do you like to do?

A few more things -

-Some of the people replying to this thread are REALLY REALLY good, but I am more at your skill level. Maybe a test ride?

-BigBob will hopefully speak up since he is tall and had a TE510

-Motoexotica is one of the few places around that are open on Mondays so you could just call them. They are a small 2 person type shop. They also race & ride so they have good knowledge.

-Lots of people have huskies within a few hours drive from you and ride FH at least occasionally.

What trails at FH do you like to do?

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/tahoe/documents/rec/fh_ohv_map.pdf#search=%22foresthill%20trail%20map%22

Had to break the map out but 2 and then 3 and 3-x. I like pulling off at the dirt road before the turn off, no one ever up there :thumbsup:

As far as these guys being really good. That is part of what brings me to this decision, I see these husky guys all over the forums and they seem knowledgeable and not... well retarded.... (IE MY YZ WILL PWN JOO).

The thing I don't want is to buy some beast that only good guys ride because they are the only ones that can control it, from what I hear though in this thread is it has power when I want it, but smooth and controlable. I think I am good enough to grow into something... but not if it will have me on my back most of the time.

I have a te450 and it is a blast on the trails. Chugs real slow with no spinning but with a flick of the wrist you are moving out like you never knew possible. I love that bike. Super easy to service and reliable IMO.

I am a loser newbie squid and I used to Ride the Wolf. My 05 Te-510 was lots of fun safe power linear MANAGEABLE, but do not be going slightly up hill in 1st gear and play too unattentive to the throttle because it will in that situtaion instantly leap out of your hands and blasst striaght up like a rocket ship, other wise the 510 is a big puddy cat, well actually more like a Big Bad Wolf. :thumbsup:

Why the switch bigbob? Just curious.

Also, I realize that I am on the Husky forums but is there anyone that thinks this is a bad idea? 2 Year rider fairly new still moving from a KLX 300r to a TE510?

Why the switch bigbob? Just curious.

Also, I realize that I am on the Husky forums but is there anyone that thinks this is a bad idea? 2 Year rider fairly new still moving from a KLX 300r to a TE510?

Good or bad idea is always dependent on the individual. In general, Husky owners are a very satisfied group, much more so that other brands. The bikes are built well and the performance is excellent. But they are not a good fit for everyone. If you want true DS capability (e.g., ability to cruise on the highway) then the close ratio tranny will be a limiting factor. I had to hit 395 for about 7 miles yesterady and had my TE450 at 65mph. The motor was really pulling high RPMs at that speed. For general off road and trail riding, the TEs are excellent. And IMHO the maintenance is much easier than on the KTMs.

If you can hook up with Coffee for a test ride I would take him up on it! Was that an offer Coffee? I also have a TE250 and it is a great scoot! I came off XR250's and a TT-R250. The Husky is tops for sure! You would need to change the counter sprocket for that commute to Sac cause at 50 mph your looking for 7th gear. She'll top out at around 80mph but your rev'n above 12k. Gobs more power even on the 250 compared to a klx300! Very linear delivery. Lovin my Italian masterpiece! :thumbsup:

Wasn't it Ruffus who grabbed a handlefull of that Bigbob 510 1st gear senario? I think he was out for the summer.

:ride: Ummmm yup (raising right hand, pleading guilty)hopefully end of September I'll be riding again,,, a wee bit wiser :thumbsup::applause:

If you can hook up with Coffee for a test ride I would take him up on it! Was that an offer Coffee? I also have a TE250 and it is a great scoot! I came off XR250's and a TT-R250. The Husky is tops for sure! You would need to change the counter sprocket for that commute to Sac cause at 50 mph your looking for 7th gear. She'll top out at around 80mph but your rev'n above 12k. Gobs more power even on the 250 compared to a klx300! Very linear delivery. Lovin my Italian masterpiece! :thumbsup:

Wasn't it Ruffus who grabbed a handlefull of that Bigbob 510 1st gear senario? I think he was out for the summer.

Yes that was an offer.

I only mentioned the quality of the riders here because I did not know what you know... Yes the 'kids' of this forum usually buy a different color bike, and that is one of the reasons I went Husky and am glad - dam fine bike. Yes Ruffus had an issue in the first 3 miles of getting his te510 and he has been out for a while, but that does NOT mean you will... The bike comes with training wheels (throttle stop) so you could leave those on if you are worried about it or even get a "non-linear" throttle cam or whatever they are called. I am 5'10" and about 175 without gear.

Visit Motoexotica and then come ride my bike if you want and make a day of it. I am 45 minutes from them in the sf bay area. I had an 'issue' like ruffus so I am out for a while still but I have a bunch of bikes plated and you could ride the street. My issue would have happened on any bike - just a random stupid event...