Sign in to follow this  

'04 450 EXC won't stay running

Just bought new '04 450 EXC. Road it only once. Second time got to the top of hill died, acted like ran out of gas. Let it cool down made it to the bottom of hill died, acted like it ran out of gas. Pushed it the rest of the way to car. Checked petcock, etc. everything seems ok. Any thoughts. Taking it to dealer tomorrow.

Try checking the gas cap, some have a little check valve that can stick and create a vacuum not allowing any gas in the float bowl. Failing that, bad float, plugged petcock...? You could unscrew the nut on the bottom of the float bowl after it stalls: no gas means you have a supply problem TO the carb. If you have lots of gas there it could be a plugged passage in the carb or a bad plug wire, bad coil etc. Check for spark by pulling the plug and grounding it.

Good luck

I had that same problem before but it was with my POS 426. The ground wire that connects my kill switch together had come apart and was grounding on the frame. Just an idea... :thumbsup:

Try checking the gas cap, some have a little check valve that can stick and create a vacuum not allowing any gas in the float bowl. Failing that, bad float, plugged petcock...? You could unscrew the nut on the bottom of the float bowl after it stalls: no gas means you have a supply problem TO the carb. If you have lots of gas there it could be a plugged passage in the carb or a bad plug wire, bad coil etc. Check for spark by pulling the plug and grounding it.

Good luck

What he said. I've had the gas tank vaccume lock on bikes and quads from a pinched tank breather hose to failed check valve.

The screw on the card he refers to is the bowl drain. Its the best way to find if gas is going to the carb. Usually a allen screw with a hose just underneath. It'll be on the left side. If you open it and get nothing. Unscrew the gas cap to see if flow then begins.

Also, If you bought the bike used, the original owner may have installed a filter between the petcock and carp. It could be plugged. Many shops (and homes) use less than clean gas. If they or you added fuel it could have been dirty.