Sign in to follow this  

crank seal opposit effect?

Well bad news from a friend that his bike after his 2nd rebuild this month, seized today, and he now has no money to fix it, i think something happend when the honda shop put it back together. heres the story:

Honda shop rebuilt his engine, due to needed new piston and a valve, so they did that and he didnt put the airfilter on properly, and that ate his new piston, valves and everything, had that fixed, and today he started it to break it in, road it around and it seized up on him after about two hours,

calls me up and then tells me all his engine oil was in his tranny, now i heard that people found tranny oil in the engine, but not this way, Any ideas of what happend? its an 06. i think maybe the honda shop didnt have it cleaned out, or something and dirt got in the main seal

Doubt that, any thing is possible though. Was the tranny actually way over filled from the engine oil..., Did over 1.5 qts come out of the tranny????

Maybe the bike did not have any oil in the engine side from the start ???? Many people get confused when they have to fill both sides...

Doubt that, any thing is possible though. Was the tranny actually way over filled from the engine oil..., Did over 1.5 qts come out of the tranny????

Maybe the bike did not have any oil in the engine side from the start ???? Many people get confused when they have to fill both sides...

this is so true , i have gotten 2 bikes from dealers that were just done up and either the motor and or trans were left almost empty,

more than likely they did not prep the cylinder correctly and in 2 hrs it burnt 15 or so oz of the engine oil out of it and just locked up the crank and galled the piston ,

if i had to guess i would say this is what happened :thumbsup:

the tranny was overfilled with oil, so im stumped

Was the oil checked before going for a ride.

It is possible they added the engine oil to the trans thru the trans filler. A mechanic in a hurry or someone with little skills could have made the mistake. There are more than one post here about the same issue. One guy kept adding oil and the level on the dipstick he complained would not move, he actually used the dipstick to check the level but added the oil thru the right side fill hole that is very common with other brands.

i asked him that too, but he has owned the bike for a long time, and he checks the oil on every ride, ill ask him again and make sure to get the truth out of him

are you thinking that because there is no way for all the engine oil to get to the tranny side?

he said he checked the oil right befor he went out, he got to the track, road it around and then it seized on him, checked the engine and nothing was in the crank, but it was all in the tranny

If the Vent system off the valve cover is blocked and the rings do not seal then the pressure of blow by may push some oil past a weak seal.

Happened in my 06. Needed a new head. Not sure what did it, but I had all the seals replaced when it got rebuilt.

so heres the update:

he took it to honda, and they tore it down for free, and found tha main bearing seized,

supposedly, it was neither his fault nore the honda shops, (idk why) but the honda shop is calling honda corp. to see if they will fix it