Sign in to follow this  

cleaning out your fork seals..

When your seals start leaking...How many guys just change them out before cleaning them..?? I cleaned mine and my sons and they both stopped leaking..Just by slipping a 35 mm film negative under them and going around the telescoping fork tube....Fork seals in Dusty Arizona are a pain in the.. :thumbsup:

I've done that foamist. It works when junk is the culprit. Usually mine leak from a nick in the tube, which cuts the seal. Or when mud and grit gets in there during a 2 hr scramble, and just tears the seals up real bad.

It's certainly good to try before you do the seals(obviously watch out for sea bears when handling seals).

I myself have promised myself, that after I take my front forks in for a complete rebuild, will pry down the dust covers after every ride/race, clean, and re-grease. I actually want to come up with some type of boot that does not interfere with the fork at all, and completely closes in the tubes. I'm tired of my seals leaking. When seals leak it gives the sea bears a chance to zero in on the prey, bad news.

Oh, and Broome Tioga was MINT today.

It was so mint, I will say it again. Oh, and Broome Tioga was MINT today.

thats hot...I went on a 40 miler today...from 3500 ft to 8000 ft..It was mint..Lots of running water and nature in all its glory and splendor..Took my 13 year old on the 250..need I say more, we had an awesome day.mint.

Had to clean out my seals today, came back from riding in the sand and both seals were leaking :thumbsup: The crappy thing about it is I just had new seals put in before the ride! I think I'm going to pick up a set of seal savers, cause this is a pain. The film strip did stop them from leaking, but if I have to take the forks off to do the oil, then the seals will get changed anyway.

thats hot...I went on a 40 miler today...from 3500 ft to 8000 ft..It was mint..Lots of running water and nature in all its glory and splendor..Took my 13 year old on the 250..need I say more, we had an awesome day.mint.

Nice. A day of riding with family is always mint. It would be sweet if we had those elevation changes where I am. Cool.

Do it before they start leaking. :thumbsup:
My avatar wants to bang your avatar..shes hott.

I used sealsavers and my fork tubes got all mared up from grit build up.

I have recently gone thru 3 pairs of different seals, the 3rd and last pair is synergy seals. So far they are working great. and great customer service too.

James

i've got seal savers on my bike and i just blew out 2 seals after maybe 3 rides with them on. Recently i went through mud and upon removing the seal savers i found some mud stuck on the dust cover and the seal savers....