Sign in to follow this  

Dirt vs Dunes?

What do you guys preffer? Which kills the bike quicker? I have an 125 ktm, but have been thinking about a 250 for the dunes, I am not sure though?? Just need some opinions.... Thanks guys :thumbsup:

Well, for a comparison of 2 strokes.....I used to ride the dunes and the hilly and whoop infested trails connecting them on a weekly basis, there were normally about 3 to 12 of us with every size and type of bike, 125, 250 and 400+.

On the firmer trails, the 125's kept up just fine and actually were an advantage when things got real tight. When the trail started getting a bit sandy, the 125's started losing ground. When the soft sand started approaching vertical, the 125's just didn't make the climb. On a certain dune hill, when the conditions were fairly decent, the big bores could clear the top with 0 to 3 feet of air, the 250's could make it half the time with the rear wheels spinning while barely cresting the top and the 125's could make it about 3/4 the way up.

As for which is harder on the bike, dirt or dunes, I don't know if there is a comparison. A lot of dune riding seems to be spent with the engine off, waiting for or watching other guys attempt a climb. I never even considered wear and tear to be an issue. About the only time I ever noticed immediate wear was in the dust bowl desert races where the talc flowed like water.

ive when it comes to skill in dunes, like the wooped out tight roads, or when were just riding around, the 125's keep up fine. But when you get to the hill climbs, the bigger bike can make it up fast because they just have a raw power. So far, on my 250f ive been able to make it up everything the people on 450's make it up. But their are a few hills only my dad on his yz490 could make it up. No one else even made it 3/4 of the way.

die_trying and hemiorange, how do paddle tires play into either of your stories? where paddle tires used on the bikes in your stories or not?

I have ridden a lot of dunes and dirt. I would most definitely go with a big bore on the dunes, you have to wind out a smaller bike way to much IMO to make the bigger hills, if you make them at all. A lot more wear and tear on a smaller bike. The dunes can be more dangerous in my opinion because of what you cannot always see over the next rise and because the faster you ride the more stable the bike is. Paddle tire in rear is must, especially on a smaller bike.

dunes are hard on bikes...all bikes...as long as you do good prep work(fresh oil, clean air filter, paddle) it will be fine..oh yea...run race gas in the sand. dunes are fun every now and again, but i'll take dirt any day..i would suggest a 10 paddle for a 125 also. as a matter of fact i just put the paddle on my kx500 :ride: pismo here i come :thumbsup:

Dunes are way harder on your bikes, quads, trucks whatever. I do more oil changes, Air filter cleaning, wheel bearings, chains and valve adjusts, Pistons, handle bar grips because of the sand, maybe 2:1 over any of my buddies that ride the dirt only.

It is worth it though IMHO...

Go with a big bore for the sand, I just traded in my 250 for a 500. Much more fun. The sand loves to eat bikes, esp 2 smokes that are perfectly jetted for the dirt.

DONT I REPEAT DONT put a 10 paddle on a 125... you wont make it out of 2nd gear.. It will hook up waaaaay to much for that bike.. Hell i only run a 8 cup on my 426... Yes the dunes will beat the snot out of a 125 in a heart beat... you will be cheweing up top ends like no tomorrow keeping that thing revved to the moon so you can go anywhere... If your a smaller guy a 250 will be perfect with a 8 cup paddle... I personally Enjoy riding the dunes on 2 wheels... You can do alot more things than them quad riders... when the go around a 5' drop you just give it a handfull and fly off it.. :thumbsup: You have to know how to read the dunes if not your gonna get yourself in big trouble... Some people know how to read a track, some know how to read the dunes... 2 diffrent ballgames.. Just be sure to go a bit slower your first time or ride w/ someone that has been to the dunes and knows how to read them and you will be fine! I have 4 seasons (sept - april) on my 426. It has seen nothing but sand since day one. And i never take the paddle off :ride:

I went to the St. anthony Dunes in Idaho this weekend. Niether my buddy or I had paddle tires. His yz250 did better than my wr450. It was very hot and seemed hard on the bikes.(overheating) We plan on putting paddles on our bikes for our next trip.(cooler weather) Any other suggestions beyond what has been written?

die_trying and hemiorange, how do paddle tires play into either of your stories? where paddle tires used on the bikes in your stories or not?

No, around here we just run sand tires, the firmer connecting trails are 90% of our riding and way more fun IMHO.

As ISBB said, learning to read the terrain is a must, but you can catch on pretty quick. It's always better to follow an expert at first, learn how to hesitate at ridges and not just launching off into the unknown. Once you get too far behind him, you're on your own, so either ride fast, keep up with him and do as he does, or slow it down so you don't run blindly off a cliff.