need help '02 xr100

going to work on my sons xr100 and had a few ?'s. do we need the service manual to change the sprocket and chains and the brake pads or is it straightforward enuf to do without the manual? the bike does not have stock sprockets, does anybody know what size stock sprockets are? any tips on the changes would be great also. thanks in advance!

Most people use the back brake much more than the front.(except us roadracers)

Who uses the back brake more????? :applause:? If they do, they need to be slapped and the rear brake lever removed until they learn to use the front. :ride:

Who uses the back brake more????? :applause:? If they do, they need to be slapped and the rear brake lever removed until they learn to use the front. :ride:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing... I actually almost never use brakes. 4 stroke compression is all the stopping power I need in most situations. It wasn't until I rode somebody else's bike that I realized that my rear brake doesn't lock up and only barely engages. When I do brake, I'm on the front brake a lot harder. It will be even better now that I have a front disc :applause:

As for the original poster's questions:

The sprockets you can definitely do. The chain, you might have a little more trouble, but it's nothing we can't help you out with. The brake shoes are a bitch to put in because of the springs, but it is pretty straight forward. Most people can do this job without the manual, but you are definitely going to want it around at some point.

Who uses the back brake more?????

I do. Matter of fact, I removed all of the front brake componants. I race flattrack.

If they do, they need to be slapped and the rear brake lever removed until they learn to use the front.

That's a thought. Then I could ride it in the brakeLESS class. Yes, there is a (vintage) brakeless class, as in NO BRAKES what-so-ever, front or rear.

Brakes just slow you down anyhow.....

IMO:

Disc brake upgrade for the front is awesome - there is no comparison.

Disc brake upgrades for the rear are way over rated.

Can i see some pics of your 100 with the front disc set up? How did you go about converting it?