Sign in to follow this  

Noise in Gear Box

03 TTR 125L

When in 1st gear I have a clunk clunk clunk (or clank) coming from the gear box. When in 2nd or any higher gear or if I start off in 2nd, no noise all is well.

All else is fine in 1st other than the noise. I am sure I will have to split the case but not sure what I will be looking for or how will I know the problem when I see it if it is not obvious?

What could this be? How difficult is it to split the case?

Terry

I found out what the problem was.....1st gear was missing a tooth, found it in the bottom of the crankcase.

Never had a motor down this far but replaced 1st gear, along with a few other components while it was down, honed it, rings, seals, all is well!

mine does the same thing only it wont hardly move in 1st gear and then it makes that noise in 4th too...doesnt sound good and ill prolly not even fix it if i get a job ill be movin up to a 250f

Hey Dawg,

Not hard to do yourself or expensive. 1st and 4th cost about 50-60 dollars total. If you need to replace gaskets their are 2 side cover and head gasket set, that's it!

alright thanks.. my brother said he was goning to take the motor off the bike and when we get some time ill tear in to it. u think i need the new gears? i just put a new 150kit on it then right after i got it broke in it started doin that and i went up to a jump in 4th cracked it and my front tire hit the face of the jump and it was about a disaster. hopefully ill hear back from a job i applied for and then ill go get hooked up with a new 250f (HOPEFULLY) then i will probably fix the ttr and keep it for a bike for my friends or g/f or sell it

o yeah and in 1st it will barley take off and it will stall it out.. it will hardly move in 1st if that helped any?