Sign in to follow this  

fitting a Pilot power 160 on my 06SM?

is this a good idea? Is it possible? Or am i going to have to mess with things?

I got a 150 on it now.. fits fine..

just want to try the wider one see if it makes any diffrence..

thanks in advance..

-patch

have heard that 150 is the largest to fit. 160 seems too large to clear the chain. maybe try a taller profile if you want to increase handling. wider tires are more difficult to turn in

is this a good idea? Is it possible? Or am i going to have to mess with things?

I got a 150 on it now.. fits fine..

just want to try the wider one see if it makes any diffrence..

thanks in advance..

-patch

With a good chain I think a 170mm tire will fit without any problems. Mine is 165mm wide and there is space left, messure it before you buy it!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407247&highlight=avon

Are you doing it for looks or batter handling? Unless you are riding the wheels off the bike "no chicnken strips" I wouldnt do. I went from a 190 to a 180 on my 996 and she hansles alot better. yes the bikes are not not in the same class etc but bigger isnt always better. A bike will be more flickable with the 150.

Are you doing it for looks or batter handling? Unless you are riding the wheels off the bike "no chicnken strips" I wouldnt do. I went from a 190 to a 180 on my 996 and she hansles alot better. yes the bikes are not not in the same class etc but bigger isnt always better. A bike will be more flickable with the 150.

The problem is...do they make a 150 pilot power?

I've heard a few times they are basically the best road tire you can buy..so if he wants those maybe only 160 is an option?

A 160 is way more than the bike needs. You will just be adding weight and slowing the handling and acceleration.

The problem is...do they make a 150 pilot power?

I just installed a 150 Pilot Power last week. Fits real nice.

A 160 is way more than the bike needs. You will just be adding weight and slowing the handling and acceleration.

are you being serious? adding weight? c'mon

if so, i completely disagree. more contact patch the better the handling...

i'm running a rear 160 pilot power on my 05 SM and it performs just fine.. no issues.

I ordered a Pilot power 150/60/17 for mine and i want to know how you guys are getting them in there..I had one heck of a time gettting the stock one out..(hit chain buffer bolts(i trimmed)and caliper lock on swingarm..Im just curious.

I ordered a Pilot power 150/60/17 for mine and i want to know how you guys are getting them in there..I had one heck of a time gettting the stock one out..(hit chain buffer bolts(i trimmed)and caliper lock on swingarm..Im just curious.

skills bro, i have had no issues slammin a 160 rear on; make sure to take the chain guard and rail thingy off... caliper off as well.. 5 minutes tops.

you must have had a 190/50 on your 996 which is why a 180/55 made it turn in faster... a 190/55 will give a larger contact patch than a 180/55 and turn in nearly identical; which is why a lot of racers will run the 190/55 profile and width.(sportbikes that is).

i would think the same would apply to sm but i can't imagine an SM bike turning in any slower/faster than it already does; unless maybe you switch to a 120/60 on the front.. even then, it's hard to tell the difference on the SM. the profile is what makes a bike turn in quicker, not the width. or so i've heard from tire reps. a michelin rep recommended i run a 160 rear on my DRZ and i've been happy with it so far... obviously there are varying opinions on the subject... there always are when i comes to tires...

WHY WHY WHY!!!!!! I work at the local shop and everybody WANTS A WIDER TIRE. It is STUPID. They built the bike to work with the 150. NONE of us in this thread can ride these tires to what they are capable of and even if we could, WIDER will NOT give you more traction. For god sakes just put the 150 back on it. The 160 will have a higher Moment of Inertia causing the bike to LOOSE power. Don't be a redneck. Put the correct size on. Cheers

Now THATs funny. I don't care who ya are!

Actually... all the guys on the fireblades.org website I used to (and still do) frequent change from a 190 rear tire to a 180 for faster turn in. Bigger isn't always better. A guy came in wanting to put a car tire on his cruiser. "The rear tire is supposed to pick you up out of a turn!!