Sign in to follow this  

Street legal?

well,Im buying a CRF450R Im trying to get my CRF230F street legal in WASHINGTON (with a dual sport kit, of course),ouchie. Since just plating my bike in Idaho and bringing it back will no longer work. Is it possible to transfer the title to a resident in Idaho and have them plate it under their name and then transfer the title back to my name, Bring the bike back to washington and then exchange the Idaho plates for Washington? I would think that Washington would have to honor a plated vehicle transfer.Id have to pay taxes twice and plates twice but if it's possible I think Ill do it. any feedback or comments would help.

you can send it to a resident in idaho and have them put the kit on it and get it street legal but once you bring it back to wa and transfer the title you will have to pay taxes on it and you will have to bring it to the WSP for an inspection... if it passes then you are allowded to get plates for it...

Another thing to keep in mind is our VIN# has ever had a ORV license associated with it, you will not be allowed a license no matter what. It goes in the database as periment "For off-highway use only" vehicle.

Another thing to keep in mind is if your VIN# has ever had an ORV license associated with it, you will not be allowed a street plate no matter what. It goes in the database as periment "For off-highway use only" vehicle.

you can send it to a resident in idaho and have them put the kit on it and get it street legal but once you bring it back to wa and transfer the title you will have to pay taxes on it and you will have to bring it to the WSP for an inspection... if it passes then you are allowded to get plates for it...

Have you ever done this? The reason that I ask, is the WSP has for the most part stopped inspecting motorcycles.

Also, if you ask the dept of licensing and WSP, the WA state databases show all Honda off-road motorcycles (XR, CR, CRF...) as off-road use only.

Good luck.

So let me make sure I understand. I have a XL50R that the previous owner titled as off-road. I can't put it back to original condition and change the title? When I asked the DMV they said I could, but WSP had to inspect first. Thanks for any advice you can give me!

TecCrash

well I thought Idaho didn't care if your vehicle is currently an "ORV" thats the purpose of dual sports. Also, yes the WSP is no longer doing inspections for motorcycles, Even though their hotline says they do.Im willing to drop money on taxes and licensing, I just wanna get this street legal.To my understanding Idaho will simply ask for a VIN# verification, and theyll give you your plates. The bike will physically be street legal once I get the dual sport kit on it so wouldnt Washington have to honor that Idaho plated it for one of their residents. the bike would be both physically and technically legal at that point, then when I bring it back Washington's dmv would just say "no" because it's a HONDA. thats a little messed up. I think Washington might be losing alot of money on this if this is true. :thumbsup::ride::applause::applause: figuring this out hurts my head.

Well it is my understanding that when you buy your bike (assuming it is from a stealership) ask them about plating the bike. They then should be able to do something to the title that does not mention anything about being "off-road use only". This is the key here.

My brother's CRF450 is WA plated. But he bought it from a guy in Portlame that already had it plated in Oregon.

see thats what I mean. A resident from Oregon did it in Oregon and just brought the bike up here and Washington legalized it because the title would have to be transfered the dreaded red letters on the Washington title would be gone,right?.....RIGHT? i hope Im right.

(Baja Designs)Dual Sport Kit, CRF230 & 06-on CRF150

Kit Includes:

* Color matched headlight assembly (kit electrical components premounted & wired behind number plate.)

* Modern LED taillight assembly.

* Turn signals (front turn signals premounted to headlight)

* Hi/low, turn signal, horn switch assembly.

* Brakelight switch & bracket

* Quick-release wiring harness.

* License plate mounting bracket.

* Detailed installation instructions.

This kit does not require the stator to be rewound however Baja Designs highly recommends it for better lighting potential. Please call (760) 560 2252 to have this service performed. Cost is $90, turnaround time is 3-5 working days.

*this is copied and pasted right from their website, i didnt write it.

I recently brought my Oregon DRZ title to an agent in Vancouver. It does not say for "off highway use only". I told them I moved from OR, it was plated in OR, and I want it plated in WA. They started to do it, but when they punched in the VIN, it came back "off highway use only" so they said they cannot do it. End of story for me. Others got lucky but it appears that they have recently changed their methods and everything is tied to the VIN in a central computer and if it was originally manufactured and intended for off road use they will not plate it regardless of what other states have done.

So let me make sure I understand. I have a XL50R that the previous owner titled as off-road. I can't put it back to original condition and change the title? When I asked the DMV they said I could, but WSP had to inspect first. Thanks for any advice you can give me!

TecCrash

I have a XL 250 that had a plate, I changed it to an ORV sticker for a couple of years and changed back to a plate six months ago with no inspection. I also asked about a plate for my KDX since the title is not branded off road only, they said no problem and asked if I wanted to duel register it, so now the KDX has a plate and a ORV sticker. :thumbsup:

I dont think he'd need to plate it at all in Idaho. Look on the Idaho titles to see if it would say off road etc. If thats the case, transfer it to an Idaho resident, have him sight the title off, send it right back, and trasnfer the title and grab a plate. The WSP has not been doing out of state inspections for over 10 years now. Now money in the budget. But fill in the "miles" on the title!

Toyota, I did not know you could fill in the "miles" but what you say makes sense, because the red comment letters would be gone. Could you please explain a little more in-depth what you ment by filling in the miles and sighting off the title.

but if what pdx_drz400 says is true, then Im doomed anyway. Jeez Washington is too tough on bikes considering we have such a big off road bike scene in Washington.

(Baja Designs)Dual Sport Kit, CRF230 & 06-on CRF150

Kit Includes:

* Color matched headlight assembly (kit electrical components premounted & wired behind number plate.)

* Modern LED taillight assembly.

* Turn signals (front turn signals premounted to headlight)

* Hi/low, turn signal, horn switch assembly.

* Brakelight switch & bracket

* Quick-release wiring harness.

* License plate mounting bracket.

* Detailed installation instructions.

This kit does not require the stator to be rewound however Baja Designs highly recommends it for better lighting potential. Please call (760) 560 2252 to have this service performed. Cost is $90, turnaround time is 3-5 working days.

*this is copied and pasted right from their website, i didnt write it.

Let me know how it works out for you cause I put a 30 watt light on my wifes CRF230 and the result was dead battery no starty! When I talked to Baja Designs they said it would need a stator rewind and even then it wouldn't work that great so I just bagged it.

JamesB and everyone else, Im probably just going to stop trying. Theres too many dead ends and its just too risky to spend so much money on an unsure thing.Thank you for your input and proposals but Ill just sell my 230 and buy a street legal bike. I just wanted it because Its nice to be the first only owner of a bike. Thank you all very much :applause::applause: but Washington motorcycle laws and the capabilities of my battery and stator and blah blah blah :ride::applause::applause: . I might as well get a fullsize dual sport with the money. KTM? :thumbsup:

Toyota, I did not know you could fill in the "miles" but what you say makes sense, because the red comment letters would be gone. Could you please explain a little more in-depth what you ment by filling in the miles and sighting off the title.

Well, I bought a WR426F from Oregon, there is nothing stating use class, ei off road etc. And on the back, there was a spot for miles, you MUST have miles on a street bike, so fill it in!

but if what pdx_drz400 says is true, then Im doomed anyway. Jeez Washington is too tough on bikes considering we have such a big off road bike scene in Washington.
It might be. But my 2001 WR426F VIN showed up as off road when they punched it in the computer. But I told them it was road legal, ie turn signals, lights etc. They gave me a title and a plate. I did sell it to another TT member. He bought mine because it was road plated. Now the policy may have changed since. I know we passed a ballot issue forcing us to adopt California emissions, and this will evetually make us identical, ie red sticker, green, no road plated off road bikes at all etc. I do own a 2004 WR450F that I bought brand new and it is also road plated, but the VIN wont ever show up as off road. (no, I didnt grind it off!

:thumbsup: )

... I think Washington might be losing alot of money on this if this is true. :thumbsup::ride::applause::applause: figuring this out hurts my head.

I know they are losing money. I didnt even buy my bike from this state, for JUST that reason. Of course, they still got the sales tax when I titled it in WA, so they may not care. And when I can no longer plate my off road bike, I will no longer buy any new or used off road bikes period! Nor will I ride off road anymore (no $$$ from ORV tags either). I spend no less that $250 for my bike tabs and trailers every year! I will not spend lots of $$$ at a local resturant with a dozen of my buddies for breakfast, nor lunch snacks, beverages, ice, riding gear, boots, jerseys.... list goes on and on. Since about 2001, I can say I have easily spent about $40,000 on new bikes (bought a bunch of those) used bikes, new enclosed trailer, support gear etc. I will continue to support my grandsons racing though.