Sign in to follow this  

TTR 125LE Running badly

Hello all....

I have a 2006 TTR 125LE that has less than 50 miles on it. I went for a ride today and it ran really bad. The last time I rode was about 4 weeks ago and it ran great. I have not done any mods at all. The bike is bone stock.

Today when we went for a ride it was missing at high rpms consistantly. It was so bad that I had to quit riding. I started a run up a small hill in 3rd gear, downshifted to second and gave it gas and it just stopped and died on me. I had to do the rest of the hill in first and even then I didnt think I was going to make it.

The gas tank is full and I was not running on reserve.

Does anyone have any ideas? Im lost and frustrated. Ive only had the bike since march.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

yeah my ttr is real picky when it comes to gas as well. I remember a couple times when some moisture might have got in the tank it ran like a dog/died as a result. I added some fresh juice and it solved the problem. Also double check the air filter as well. I would hope that there isn't anything wrong with the carb after 50 miles. These bikes are also notriously cold blooded. I think it could be a combo of a few things and doubt that it's the carb. If you've only got 50 miles on it but have had it since March i would deffinately swap in some new gas first and run it a few minutes before ya go riden.

If you let gas sit for a while it will gum up and clog jets. A good cleaning and a new plug and it should be back to normal.

Make sure the pulg cap is on all the way. Get a new plug too. They're only $2 so get a few. Mostly likely your pilot is plugged or your filter is so dirty it isn't getting fuel. When was the last time you cleaned your air filter? Just do this:

1. Check the plug and check to see if there is good spark.

2. If that's ok, then it's your pilot and filter.

3. Put the petcock on reserve.

4. Is the choke on???

5. Check to see if it's getting fuel.

Do these and get back to us.

This tank was filled up with fresh gas this morning. We did check the air filter and it was clean. We pulled the plug and checked it and found that it was not gapped correctly. In fact it was way off. It was gapped to small. (We have never had the plugs out so it came that way from the dealer) I figure that cant be the only problem tho since it has ran fine every time before.

We fixed that and started it up. It sounds better but its to late to pull it off the trailer and ride it down the street. The neighborhood cop will bust me. :thumbsup: We will ride it tomorrow and post an update.

Once this issue is resolved we are going to rejet and do the airbox mod.

Thank you to everyone for your help. Its much appreciated!

Sounds like you're still going to want to clean the carb out when you do the airbox and re-jetting. Make sure you clean the choke hole out on a regular basis!

guys, my ttr is boggin down like this. i think it is the same thing. can someone give me a step by step guide how to clean the carb? i have a owners manual if that helps. thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

a good carb cleaning is in order, and i would suggest a new plug also. both of my TTRs always choke and sputter after they sit for a while.

and hey, while your at it, you might as well install the hi-flow air filter kit from BBR motorsports (www.bbrmotorsports.com), which really compliments the airbox mod. and if you have the extra $$$, get the BBR exhaust too. you will think its a different bike, im tellin ya

Ok here is my update......

We put in a new spark plug and removed the carb. We took the jets out and cleaned both the carb and the jets. The carb and jets were spotless but we cleaned them anyway. The air filter is also spotless.

After putting it all back together the bike is still doing the same thing. Now Im really frustrated :thumbsup: and dreading the thought of taking it to the dealer. Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

Did you drain the tank and replace the gas with fresh fuel?

Make sure that gas flows freely from the fuel line that goes from the tank to the carb.

Ok here is my update......

We put in a new spark plug and removed the carb. We took the jets out and cleaned both the carb and the jets. The carb and jets were spotless but we cleaned them anyway. The air filter is also spotless.

After putting it all back together the bike is still doing the same thing. Now Im really frustrated :thumbsup: and dreading the thought of taking it to the dealer. Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

When you "cleaned" you jets, did you blow compressed air through them and make sure you can see through them before you put them back in???? It doesn't matter if the outside of the jets are spotless, it's the inside that counts.

Choke stuck shut or patially shut??

Check the float and make sure it is getting enough gas, second make sure when you attach the plug wire that it is snapping into place. If the plug wire got damaged and became loose this would create problems right off the bat. I would also inspect the gas line and make sure it is not kinked or damaged when you removed the carb. Next check carb gaskets and make sure they have not been pinched or torn. Finally check the needle and make sure the spring is on properly and allows for full movement. All that should take you 10 minutes... good luck :thumbsup:

When we cleaned the jets we soaked them in carb cleaner. We could see clearly thru the jets. None of the lines appear to be kinked and the carb gasket is intact. Im going to check the flow of gas tonight and drain the tank.

Will post another update after Im done.

Thanks for everyones help and input!

have you played around at all with the carb settings? your needle position could be off, or try rejetting???

thats what i would try if nothing else works

Ok...here is another update.....

We drained the gas tank completely and also checked that the flow of gas is good. We put fresh gas in and it did the same thing.

SOooo...

after all that of taking the bike apart we discover (after reading a few of the other forums on here) that its just the o-ring on the choke that needed to be lubed up. :thumbsup: It seems to run fine now but we will take it for a ride tomorrow.....

(holding my breath until then)

We just took it for a ride. It still runs the same. Unless anyone has any other ideas I guess its off to the dealership.