Sign in to follow this  

Anybody know what this part does??

So there I was, rejetting my carb. (1996 XR400). I'm told the carb has been "updated to 1998 specs", whatever that means. I remove the bowl and find this laying on the bottom:

23201093741.jpg

I looked on the parts fiche and found that it slides up over the main jet. I pushed it back up there, but it didn't stay. So I just took it out. Started bike up and it runs fine, doesn't seem to have any effect on the carb at all. Question is: Anybody know what it does? Do I really NEED to have it in there? It seemed to just rattle loose and fall to the bottom of the bowl anyways...

Yo C.

You can get the little bugger to stay up there by slightly pinching it, but don't break it! Or you can also dab a tiny bit of grease on it to get it to stay. Once the bowl is all on it's held up.

I think it's just an anti-splash thingie.

It's an anti-slosh baffle. It's slotted so there is only one way to install it (narrow side up). It *is* possible to install the float bowl while keeping this thing in place. Just try again.

I'm not sure about pinching it; it doesn't seem like the kind of plastic that likes to be squeezed.

Cheers and good luck with that!

d.

Be sure to put it back in. It prevents fuel starvation around the main jet when the bike is in a high G situation like landing from a jump.

Be sure to put it back in. It prevents fuel starvation around the main jet when the bike is in a high G situation like landing from a jump.

Or tackling a set of whoops or rough terrain. You will need it.

98 specs? My '82 and '94 had it. So did my friends '83 honda quad. It is indeed an anti-slosh guard. It won't decrease performance.

These guys have no idea what they are talking about.

The white thing is a hat. It belongs to the little fella who lives in your float-bowl and shovels the fuel into the jets. (duh - how did you THINK the fuel got there... I mean liquids do not flow UPHILL). Probably the fella was not there when you took the carb off; that hapens a lot especially if you work in the evenings since these guys like to party (hey you GOTTA be a party animal to work submerged in gasoline half the day) and was probably out for the night.

My suggestion is to replace the unit with a small baseball cap off of a Ken Doll or a GI Joe doll. Leave the new hat in the bowl when your reassemble the carb. The fuel guy will love you for it and you will see a definate performance advantage.

Bad luck if your particular fuel person is a chick cause then she's gonna be pissed that you took her cool white hat. If this is the case get used to a boggy bike cause as the saying goes "Fuel hath no fury like a woman scorned"

These guys have no idea what they are talking about.

The white thing is a hat. It belongs to the little fella who lives in your float-bowl and shovels the fuel into the jets. (duh - how did you THINK the fuel got there... I mean liquids do not flow UPHILL). Probably the fella was not there when you took the carb off; that hapens a lot especially if you work in the evenings since these guys like to party (hey you GOTTA be a party animal to work submerged in gasoline half the day) and was probably out for the night.

My suggestion is to replace the unit with a small baseball cap off of a Ken Doll or a GI Joe doll. Leave the new hat in the bowl when your reassemble the carb. The fuel guy will love you for it and you will see a definate performance advantage.

Bad luck if your particular fuel person is a chick cause then she's gonna be pissed that you took her cool white hat. If this is the case get used to a boggy bike cause as the saying goes "Fuel hath no fury like a woman scorned"

Holy smokes! Now THAT one took some thought!! Ha Ha!! :thumbsup:

All this time I was hoping it was the flux capacitor:p

If it was, 88mph IS NOT the magic number!