Sign in to follow this  

August 19th Jones Creek Ride Report

Whew!

I have never worked so hard for only 20 trail miles! And I have very few photos to give you any pleasure (but they are in the Image Gallery under August in Jones Creek).

The morning started out like any morning at a staging area with the exception of a couple "Enthusiasts" that would storm the staging area casting a dust cloud over everything...great motivation for us to get out on the trails.

As it was our first time there, we were a little tentative about blasting off into the wild but it was reassuring that we would not likely meet other riders head-on as the they were 1-Way trails.

Unkle_George and EYE paired up for the first ride and ran the C-loop. The trail climbed through some cool trees and broke out on to a clear-cut that offered a panoramic view to the south. A little wild fire smoke filled the valley, but you may be able to make out Mt Hood in the distance.

P0001752_small.JPG

There was an un-marked trail we spotted out in the middle somewhere. Conversation went something like this: "Think that trail goes somewhere?"..."Yeah, problee"..."Think we should take it?"..."We could get lost - yeah, let's take it."..."WooHoo!" The trail lead us down a rocky, root-laden slope, across a creek,

P0001754_small.JPG

and up another rocky, root-laden slope to a gnarly set of water bars built on a really steep, old jeep road covered with loose debris and bigger rolling rocks. Yeah, baby! We connected back up with C-loop easy enough (thanks to some locals) and back we went to the staging area.

In the mean time, Katie, Deena, and our girls rallied and powered through the A-loop and a number of rabbit trails that have grown around the high density areas.

We all snacked for a bit

P0001757_small.JPG

and decided it was time for a whole group attack on the B-loop.

P0001755_small.JPG

Only 7 or 8 miles, and we had a taste of what we should meet since we did the other two loops already. Oh boy.

Most of the B-loop was just like we encountered on the other loops until..."the hill". "The hill" occurred just after the point of no return...wouldn't you know it?! :applause: I took a picture of the beginning of "the hill". You can get a sense of the grade when you look at it, but factor in that it is actually way steeper than it appears.

P0001758_small.JPG

I was the last rider at the point I took the picture, so even the two little gals have already started the ascent (pronounced: journey). I kept my camera out, knowing I could get some great kiddie-carnage and sure enough, I came upon Samantha dumped over, having hit one of the bazillion rollers. Now's my chance! I go to take a picture and pressed the power button, not the shutter. :ride: That episode repeated itself a couple more times through the day (yeah, who's the moron). God knows the attitude of the heart doesn't He? :applause:

Some concerned members of my climbing party expressed the possibility of turning back :applause: , but I would have none of that...after all, we were probably gonna get a ticket if we rode the wrong way on the trail. :applause: So we got out our caribeeners and continued up, and up. Unkle_George and EYE usually jump off our bikes at 'trouble' spots to assist the XR70 and XR80 pilots through the junk. Up until "the hill" we picked up either bike only once...now we were jumping off more frequently and getting a workout for sure. There was this one stretch of "the hill" that was particularly nasty and we both bailed off at strategic points. "Okay, send the girls!" , we shouted. Putt-putt, dab-dab, bobble-save, grit teeth and steer...and both those girls rallied right up this nasty snake of a rock minefield. :applause: This stuff is what ISDEs are made of. Couldn't believe my eyes. Those are my girls!! :applause:

Whew! We made it to the top! We reached for our O2 canisters, squeezed a little beef stroganoff from our astronaut tubes and continued our saga. It's all downhill from here I was thinking! :thumbsup:

The dowhill piece of "the hill" was equally challenging to our little ones. Emily handled both the ascent and descent better than Samantha, partly due to her age and for sure her height. She does quite well controlling her speed with the clutch in and using both brakes in the junky stuff. For Samantha, the descent off "the hill" was a real lesson in using her rear brake enough (something she hadn't committed to doing yet). She went from white belt to brown belt in just one hill (I think it was a 3 mile descent!!) :applause:

Deena was the hero of the day for Sam and me. There were a few stretches of cobble that gave Sam a particularly tough time (going up and coming down) and we were able to toss the little trouper onto the quad for a taxi ride around the junk. I would ferry the bike and get on back to mine to catch up. Ugh...I hate working out, but I love riding dirt bikes with my family. :applause:

Once we returned to the staging area (3 hours later :applause:), Chef Unkle_George had the BBQ piping hot and the little franks were all smoked up.

P0001759_small.JPG

We thanked the Lord for bringing us out of Egypt and ate manna from Heaven. Yum yum. :applause:

Sitting around re-living the space walk and re-entry shenanigans was quite fun and not getting close to being finished when a quad rider burst into the staging area with a look of dire concern on his face (correct, his helmet was not on). His buddy on a bike dropped into a ditch off the side of the road right where the loop trails end. It was his first time at Jones Creek and he was unfamiliar with what was behind a jump he took. The DNR had used a back hoe with a 2-foot bucket to dig out a hole around 8 feet deep and 8 feet across with ditches running north and south and west about 20 feet...all in an effort to keep OHVs (jeeps too) from using a road they wanted closed. We think he jumped the first mound (about 2 feet tall), landed on the edge of the drop-off and endo-ed into the ditch where he got pinned by his bike upside down, against the far bank. He had been stuck there about 8 minutes. He was conscious but in great pain. :applause:

Unkle_George and EYE jumped into the ditch with his riding buddy and got the bike away from him which left him on his back, but no where near flat or on even ground. At that point, we tried to get him comfortable and Katie and Unkle_George went off to get emergency services.

P0001760_small.JPG

Ultimately, he was transported to a Vancouver area hospital. His main complaint was of severe neck pain, but had the use of all his limbs.

We got his bike out of the hole and drove his truck to his house as it was right on the way back home for us.

Whew! I have never worked so hard to go only 20 trail miles before! What a satisfying day! Bring on the September ride! (Shhh...Roger's Camp I think).

Hey! Who's that big, goofy lookin' dude in the blue Thor gear?

Nice ride report Kent! Pics make all the difference in the world! By the way, when is your September ride? I have to be in your neck o' the woods on Saturday, Sept 16 for a reception. I may be available for one of those rides you keep talkin' about! Maybe that Sunday, the 17th? Not too tough...gotta stay frisky for the ride home! It's sooo hard to get over there. I'm making my effort!

Peace,

Dan

...I have to be in your neck o' the woods on Saturday, Sept 16 for a reception. I may be available for one of those rides you keep talkin' about! Maybe that Sunday, the 17th? Not too tough...gotta stay frisky for the ride home!...

What time does that reception end? We could do a little stealth trails in the woods.

Our ride is the morning of the 16th out of Roger's Camp (our first time back to TSF-North since all the trails were closed from the rains)...but I'm sure I'll have enough steam for some miles in the dark.

Of course, I am also sure I can go on Sunday too, just not until around noon.

I know it's hard getting over here and I appreciate you putting in the effort. You won't be disappointed...we've got primo trails in our back yard...that is, if you like traction, steep gradient, windy, twisty, rooty, single track over wimpy bridges and through case-deep ruts...prolly no dust (at least not like CH!) :thumbsup:

I'm not sure on the time for the reception. If it's reasonable, I can do an evening run. Don't push yourself for Sunday, if you've got something going on. If it's not too far out of the way, we can do a 4 hour+/- Sunday ride just to give me a taste...Then be able to have you home for dinner. If my girls go with, it may make it difficult. Anyhoo, we'll play it by ear! I'll keep ya posted and vice-versa!

Dan

Was that your party at the picnic table in the beginners riding area? I spent all day out marking the poker run so I spent very little time on the 3 loops. Ahh, the B loop hill climb,, after a few time up that hill you hit it in 3rd gear railing off the sides of the trail. You don't want to stop of you don't have too. Hit the poker run next weekend if youcan and you will get about 5 times the trails:) Sounds like you had a good time.

Joe......

Was that your party at the picnic table in the beginners riding area?...

Not us. We had a blue Quik-Shade with our logo on it on the left side of the staging area as you come in from civilization.

after a few time up that hill you hit it in 3rd gear...Joe......

I'd tell my daughters to try it in 3rd gear but my 7-yr old only has 3...and that gear only sees a lot of action at East Fort Rock :thumbsup:

Good report guys. Yep, JC can be hard for the little ones. I use it for suspension testing, can you tell why? :>) It is fairly close to my house to I can run up there for an afternoon to try some stuff out. Good place to ride alone as it is one way and if you get messed up someone will find you shortly. I know it would be a massive amount of work but it would be cool if they would clear all the rocks off of A loop and make it specifically for kids / family.

Good report Kent.

Sorry we missed it. Robby has been looking at the pics saying... "I could have made that!" That's my boy.... Hopefully we will make the next ride.

Nice ride report. Any news about the injured rider yet?

When they (the ambulance) left with him, they initially said that he would be life-flighted to OHSU. Later while we were loading up, the Sheriff (that was there doing a report on the incident) said that they decided to take him to the local hospital. He was moving all of his limbs when he left - just in a lot of pain. I don't know if we will ever hear about his status.

Nice ride report. Any news about the injured rider yet?

We got word tonight from the injured rider's sister. Truly amazing. I am pasting it below:

My name is Joyce Read and my brother, Jamie Frahm, was the downed rider that you all helped at Jones Creek last week. My family and I are so grateful to all of you that helped him in his time of need. His injuries were more serious than anybody could have imagined. I don't know if you saw the news article in the Columbian or the interview on Channel 2 news, but he is doing extraordinarily wonderful for the injury he sustained. I put a brief overview of his condition on your rutsoregon.org website but I wanted to take a few minutes to personally thank you. He broke his neck so severe that he should by all accounts be dead or paralyzed, which he is neither. Thanks to your hands and the hands of God, he is with us and he is not paralyzed. He endured a 7 and 1/2 hour surgery and is able to walk and gently use his hands. He has suffered some pretty good nerve damage in his arms and hands and we won't know the extent of that for quite some time. He is now in the Good Samaritan Hospital getting the rehab he needs.

Here's what happened that caused the accident. When Jamie saw what looked like a trail heading up the rise he decided to take a little cruise. With no warning signs, no gates, and unable to see the trench he headed toward what he thought was a trail. He crested to dirt berm in second gear and the trench was not visible until he was right on top of the berm. There was no time to stop and not enough time or speed to jump and he landed head first into the wall of the trench. My uncle, nieces and I went back to the accident scene and found the imprints of his head and hands. It was quite unreal.

I just can't thank you enough for what you did. Thanks just doesn't seem quite enough.

You will forever be in our hearts, you are each in our prayers and kept with the warmest of thoughts.

Sincerely, with love and gratitude

Joyce Read and family