Sign in to follow this  

How to replace forkseals...

Ok so, I blew both my fork seals the other day. I know I can have my friend do it... he owns a shop and everything. But I would like to know how for future reference. Does anyone have anything that could walk me through it with like pics or anything? Thanks.

A small tip that will save ya big $$$$

Instead of buying one of those spendy (but cool) seal drivers, get a piece of PVC pipe and cut it in half length-ways. then use that to tap the seal into the lower fork.

Someone has a how too, I think it is on the 450 page/forum.

Once you see it done its a piece of cake.First time i did it on my 450 one tube took 45 minutes next one took about 15!One tip i can give is use oem seals.At least thats what my suspension guy says.

Once you see it done its a piece of cake.First time i did it on my 450 one tube took 45 minutes next one took about 15!One tip i can give is use oem seals.At least thats what my suspension guy says.

haha same here

and i almost pee'd myself doing the first one, i was getting all nervous, then i flew threw the second one like it was cake :thumbsup:

I have to advocate the Motopowervideo fork videos. Was really nervous about going into my forks. Was putting 450 stock springs all around in my 250R. The showa fork video specific to make/model of forks takes yu thru step by step, no guessing or interpreting what the manual means by something. No way to screw it up, great videos. With video (hitting pause after each step) I got the first fork done in about 45 minutes, second one in about 20.

Yeah the motopower videos are great, but they are also pretty pricey. They do walk you through step by step really well though. I would suggest them if you only needed one type of instruction. If you want to learn all types of bike mechanics, I would suggest trial and error and thumper talk forums. Maybe some frustraion but you will save some bucks and the you can pat yourself on the back instead of a DVD

I have to advocate the Motopowervideo fork videos. Was really nervous about going into my forks. Was putting 450 stock springs all around in my 250R. The showa fork video specific to make/model of forks takes yu thru step by step, no guessing or interpreting what the manual means by something. No way to screw it up, great videos. With video (hitting pause after each step) I got the first fork done in about 45 minutes, second one in about 20.

not trying to dog them because they are good, but don't spend money on the motosport videos, go to youtube and do a search. rockymountain atv has 2 videos on there just as good for free. Also take a look at the stickey on the 450 forum before going and buying 150 worth of tools.