Sign in to follow this  

Question About the 400

I'm 5'11", 250 and a nOOb. Would I be happy with a 400 for years or should I stick with my original plan of getting a 650? It's going to see open country for the most part, but will have some tight stuff thrown in on occassion, with some leisure enduro races thrown in.

Several reasons why I ask is I can find more 400's closer and street legal than I can find 650's. I've been set on a 650, but I found a 400 to look at this week if the dealer still has it. I know the 650 reputation real well and that's why I'm leaning that way, but I know next to nothing about the 400 reputation.

The XR400 was one of the most reliable dirt bikes ever made. Adjust valves, change oil once in a while and make sure the swingarm bolt is lubed. Much better woods bike than any 650 due to lighter weight (30 lbs.). Lots of hop up potential.

I had both at one time and the 650 is not fun at enduro events especially when the trail gets tight and slow. It's heavy and tends to want to overheat/boilover. I assume you are talking about the 650R right? In the open areas the 650 is a monster, but it is a monster of a different type in the tight stuff.

I had both at one time and the 650 is not fun at enduro events especially when the trail gets tight and slow. It's heavy and tends to want to overheat/boilover. I assume you are talking about the 650R right? In the open areas the 650 is a monster, but it is a monster of a different type in the tight stuff.

Which one did you like better overall? Are they basically the same bike minus the engine? Would the 400 be happy lugging my big ass around? I'm not looking for a crotch rocket built for the dirt, but I don't want something that would cry when I decide to hit open land for miles on end.

At 5'11" 250 lbs I'd say you're a tweener... but because you said nOOb I'd say go with the 400. May grow into the 650 but you'll progress faster on a 400.

Which one did you like better overall? Are they basically the same bike minus the engine? Would the 400 be happy lugging my big ass around? I'm not looking for a crotch rocket built for the dirt, but I don't want something that would cry when I decide to hit open land for miles on end.

I came off of a modified XR600 and thought the power of the 650r was phenomenal, I had both suspensions modified with Race Tech gold valves and springs appropriate for my weight and riding ability as well as Scotts stabilizers on both bikes, but having the more nimble 400 at the same time I found myself riding the 400 all the time. I always thought it was better to have it (power) and not need it then to need it and not have it, but there are very few people out there that can use the power of the 650r the way it was intended to be used (you cant just poke around in the heat). The 400 was a little short on power coming from the 600 and 650 so I sold the 650 and put the money into making the bike for my intended purpose ( enduro ). I upped the displacement to 440 and added a whole slew of modifications including a CRF front end. I have not been disappointed in the power delivery or reliability of this little steed. This is the way Honda should have made it. (See "My Garage") for details.

b67fa9c4.jpg

The XR400 has been around almost as long as dirt and it is said to have one of the most reliable and bulletproof engines on the planet. I owned an XR650R for 4 years and I now own an XR400. I loved my 650 except in the tight stuff. It is a heavy pig to move around at slow speeds, but it roars on the top end. I prefer my 400 over the 650 for the weight savings and the agility. A properly jetted 400 with a pipe is an impressive performer. I think you would like it.

Are they basically the same bike minus the engine?

Honda makes two 650's the 650R is water cooled and has radiators, kick start only and the 650L is air cooled and has blinkers. The L is designed as a dual sport and has e-start, but it is heavier.

Black Mesa Offroad, I sent you a PM. I have xr400 and xr650r for sale.

I'm 5'11", 250 and a nOOb. Would I be happy with a 400 for years or should I stick with my original plan of getting a 650? It's going to see open country for the most part, but will have some tight stuff thrown in on occassion, with some leisure enduro races thrown in.

Several reasons why I ask is I can find more 400's closer and street legal than I can find 650's. I've been set on a 650, but I found a 400 to look at this week if the dealer still has it. I know the 650 reputation real well and that's why I'm leaning that way, but I know next to nothing about the 400 reputation.

I weight just a little bit more than you do.. but I'm the same height. My XR400 with simple gordons mods tosses me around pretty good. I intend on dropping the front sprocket 1 tooth down and then I think I'll have a pretty "nimble" bike. 1st and 2nd I can get the front tire a good 2 feet off the ground and ride it out... I'm working on 3rd, but the potential is there!

GET THE 400! :thumbsup:

Snatch up the 400...I just got one after searching the countryside for just the right ride. They are getting harder to come by, as they aren't made anymore. I've ridden both, and if you're going to dual sport it the 650r is the better choice. (Only cause you'll like the displacement on the freeway.) Otherwise, the 400 is the way to go. I ride it like a pit bike, compared to the 650r which took much more attention and planning off road!! For a noob (I consider myself an "intermediate to advanced noob"), the 400 is the clear winner. :thumbsup:

I came off of a modified XR600 and thought the power of the 650r was phenomenal, I had both suspensions modified with Race Tech gold valves and springs appropriate for my weight and riding ability as well as Scotts stabilizers on both bikes, but having the more nimble 400 at the same time I found myself riding the 400 all the time. I always thought it was better to have it (power) and not need it then to need it and not have it, but there are very few people out there that can use the power of the 650r the way it was intended to be used (you cant just poke around in the heat). The 400 was a little short on power coming from the 600 and 650 so I sold the 650 and put the money into making the bike for my intended purpose ( enduro ). I upped the displacement to 440 and added a whole slew of modifications including a CRF front end. I have not been disappointed in the power delivery or reliability of this little steed. This is the way Honda should have made it. (See "My Garage") for details.

b67fa9c4.jpg

That thing looks awesome!!

I ride/race out West and have a 400 and a 650R. True, the 400 is better in the tight stuff, allot better, but it will never have the legs of the 650R. The 650R can do the tight stuff, it just takes a bit more finesse. Get the 650R, because when you hit the great wide open and fifth gear on the 400, you will be extremely disappointed. If you want to make the 650R really sing, port and polish the intake and exhaust tracts, open up the air box and drill the side cover, jet it properly, and change the gearing to 15/45. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.