Sign in to follow this  

06 250F for enduro?

G'day guys

I'm thinking about going in an enduro this weekend and am thinking about doing something to get more top end speed. So I'm guessing doing something with the gearing. The gearing is stock 13/48. I was thinking going to a 46 to achieve this. Anyone out there had any experience in this sort of thing?

Cheers

I had a few different sprockets for my old ttr250.It totally changed the way the bike felt whenever I put a new one on.Put a smaller back sprocket on and it wont rev so hard when your at a good speed.Let us know how it goes,I have just bought an 06 wr and I think its a safe way to give your bike a different feel and its easy to change back to how you had it.

13/46 will change the tension on the chain considerably. to achive the proper tension, you will need to push the axle back. this will increase your wheelbase and that alone can have a great effect on handling. you will gain a several kmh's by doing this.

Your enduros must not have any trees in them like we have. More TOP SPEED? I would kill myself overhere in an enduro if I left 4th gear

yeh, no trees, partically where I live in central Australia. I haven't seen or heard much about the track and I'm making a good guess that there will be a fair bit of dirt roads and then tight stuff in creeks and the like. My poor old bike will get murdered on the straight roads, but will kick ass in the tight stuff. Will probably go to a 46 to get a few extra km/h's.

what would be better, going smaller in the rear or larger in the front?

Well you will have to buy a new case guard if you go bigger in the front as you won't be able to clear that 13T guard. I would just go smaller in the rear.

14 fits on the 05 no problem...did they change that part of the engine?

14T CS, this would make your wheelbase shorter, so high speed stability might be an issue, hence you might want to push your forks down into the clamps 3 to 5mm to compensate - then don't forget to set your sag if you push the forks down into the clamps to raise the steering head (i.e. making the wheelbase a little longer).

Good call about the wheel base issue. I think I'll go a 46 and make the wheel base longer to compensate for the extra slack in the chain.

Good call about the wheel base issue. I think I'll go a 46 and make the wheel base longer to compensate for the extra slack in the chain.

If you're planning to go with a 14T CS and a 46T rear - that is a huge change from stock, that would equate to something like 5 teeth in the rear and using the stock CS (e.g. 13/53 from the stock 13/48). If you ride any technical slow sections, there will be a LOT of clutching to do using the 14/46 combo...

I've been looking online for info on something smaller then 48 for our bikes if you find a retailer that makes one please post the link here. I know most of the major brands only make 48-54.

Thanks!