mineral oil use

mineral oil use ? Or petroleum based oil?

mineral oil is used for a lot of things,, lubrication of an internal combustion motor is not one of them.

Assuming you meant petroleum oil.... give it a few oil changes,call it 1000 miles. Ring seat is done by then,, and thats the only reason not to go fully synthetic.

tie me kangeroo down sport

yep we call it mineral oil in aus :applause:

You and your roo can go........ahh, never mind ? ,, In the US, and on internet sites in the US (you know like the one YOU posted to) Mineral oil or liquid petrolatum is a by-product in the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline. It is a chemically inert, transparent, colorless oil composed mainly of alkanes and cyclic paraffins, related to white petrolatum. Mineral oil is a substance of relatively low value, and it is produced in very large quantities. Mineral oil is available in light and heavy grades, and can often be found in drug stores.

Applications

Refined mineral oil is used as transformer oil.

Mineral oil is used to store and transport alkali metals. The oil prevents the metals from reacting with atmospheric moisture.

Personal care:

Mineral oil is sometimes taken orally as a laxative. It lubricates feces and intestinal mucous membranes, and limits the amount of water removed from feces. Typically, mineral oil is effective within six hours. While it has been reported that mineral oil may be absorbed when emulsified, most information shows that it passes harmlessly through the gastrointestinal system.

Mineral oil with added fragrance is marketed as 'baby oil' in the US and UK.

Used as an ingredient in baby lotions, cold creams, ointments and other pharmaceuticals and low-grade cosmetics.

Can also be used on eyelashes to prevent brittleness and/or breaking.

Used in small quantities (2-3 drops daily) to clean ears. Over a couple of weeks, the mineral oil softens dried or hardened earwax so that a gentle flush of water can remove it. In the case of a damaged or perforated eardrum, however, mineral oil should not be used, as oil in the middle ear can lead to ear infections.

Lubrication

Fuel, for items such as oil lamps.

Electric mineral-oil-filled space heaters

Coolant

Low viscosity mineral oil is sold as a preservative for wooden cutting boards and utensils.

A coating of mineral oil protects metal surfaces from moisture and oxidation.

Food-preparation butcher block surfaces are often conditioned periodically with mineral oil.

Light mineral oil is used in textile industries and used as a jute batching oil.

Mineral oil is used to darken soapstone countertops for aesthetic purposes.

It works (albeit poorly) as a release agent for molds, especially in fiberglass casting.

It is used as a release agent for baking pans and trays.

It is occasionally used in the food industry (particularly for candy). Some studies suggest that prolonged use might be unhealthy because of low accumulation levels in organs. It has been discouraged for use in children's foods, though it is still occasionally found in candies in China and Canada.

Used as a cleaner and solvent for inks in fine art printmaking as well as in oil painting, though turpentine is more often used.

It can be used as a solvent for solid samples during Infrared spectroscopy.

Petrobras is mixing mineral oil and vegetable oil to produce a new biodiesel known as H-Bio, which may greatly increase its market value

Has a lot of uses, but know one is silly enough to use it in a motor.

But I got it.... as I suggested,, you said Mineral oil.. but meant petroleum oil or non synthetic in any case. Recommendations remain the same with one addition.. If you going to ask a question of a group, might want to ask said question in a language common to that group. :applause: So perhaps on the AU version of TT it's mineral oil.... but in the US...well, thats been covered. :ride:

Chooken, I'm with you.

Also in Italy we call it "MINERAL OIL" as opposed, as far our beloved engine lubricants are concerned, to "SYNTHETIC OIL" ?

I guess that the term "MINERAL" refers to the fact that the product is obtained by straight distillation and refining of the crude oil, with no other chemical modifications.

Hence "Mineral" because it directly come from the underground, a MINE (actually a petroleum well).

The "Synthetic Oil" is chemically modified (esther based etc.etc.).

I'm going to switch to "synthetic oil" at 1500 - 2000 Km.

Thanks Bronco. Here I was thinking its main use was for an insulating/cooling medium in nearly every transformer, and older technology high amperage breakers, that and as a test for laundry soap for removing the stuff from my clothes.

Apparently not, according to Bronco!

Really,in my field of work it is.

There Are Four Different Types of Motor Oil Base Stocks

We know that basestock composition has a significant effect on the overall performance of motor oil. There are four different types of base stock used in the motor oil market today.

Group 1 - Conventional - Mineral oil derived from crude oil

Group 2 - Hydroprocessed - Highly refined mineral oil

Group 3 – Severe hydroprocessed - Ultra refined mineral oil

Group 4 – Full synthetics (chemically derived) - Chemically built Polyalphaolefins (PAO).

take alook under the Mobil 1 section

Mobil 1 and other synthetic oils have many performance benefits over conventional mineral oils including:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobil_Oil

As it infers Groups 1 – 3 basestocks are derived from crude oil pumped from the ground whereas Group 4 basestocks are chemically derived, most often from ethylene gas, and contain none of the contaminants present in mineral oils. Just as distilled water is pure water derived from gas so Group 4 basestocks are pure oils derived from gas.

You and your roo can go........ahh, never mind ? ,, In the US, and on internet sites in the US (you know like the one YOU posted to)

I thought we were an International community...

Should we start spelling colour and tyre incorrectly ?

:ride: