Sign in to follow this  

Really dumb oil change question, and FCR carb availabilty?

Hi all, excellent forums!

Just bought a drz400SM. This is my first bike with a dry sump, and feel a bit of a newb but: When filling it with oil, do I have to measure the amount exactly (1700ml and 1800ml with/without filter) and just chuck all that in?

Or do I have to put a bit less in, run the bike for a bit to get it all circulating, then check the level, and keep running the bike after each extra dollop that gets poured in? Do I need to run the bike each time?

All my other bikes have been wet sump so i've just poured it in until the right level in the sight glass. :thumbsup:

Also, looks like the 3x3 and FCR carb here is the performance mod - I would like a bit more top end. The carb and kit is out of stock at the moment - has it been out of stock for months or is it likely to be available again soon?

cheers

Jon

Dump the oil (2 x Drain plugs) change the filter and add 2 litres or quarts of the oil of your choice and ride.

The FCR has been a bit tricky to source, got mine from the TT Store, but it took nearly 3 months.

Well worth the wait, I expect the shortage will get worked out eventually.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride::applause:

As Neil stated, dump in two Qts and ride....There is really no need to get a scientific about it, just make sure you drain with both drain plugs and change your filter...

If this is your initial (new bike) oil change, or you've done any engine work, or you just like to be sure on an older used bike, you should pull the oil screeen that resides in the bottom of the frame tube (oil tank). It is on the back side of the hose fitting that is next to the frame tube drain plug. This screen catches any big stuff before it ever gets into the motor. :ride:

The screen is part number 11 on the oil line schematic at this link:

http://www.oem.thumpertalk.com/2004DRZ400Soilhose.aspx

BTW, welcome! :thumbsup:

The oil looks covered by everyone and the stickies on the tops of the page.

The FCR is on back order, the TT store one is perfect but supply problems have been a issue.

I got mine off of eBay, keep an eye out there always seems to be one or two of them out there. The FCR MX is awesome, that with an exhaust, and the 3x3 makes your bike feel like its got 3 times the power than a stock DRZ....

If you can't get an FCR rejet your stock carb, its still a huge improvement.