Sign in to follow this  

What gas?

I was thinking of getting a crf250r for my next bike and I wondered if you have to run high octane gas like 94.

nope. with these extremely high performance race engines you need to run either 100+ octane or VP race gas :thumbsup:

93 octane gas is fine

Does it really make a difference to run 93 over regular old 87 octane? I would like to able to pour the same gas I use in my mower into my bike. If it is a difference, guess I'll just have to get another tank (or start using the good juice in the old mower!).

Does it really make a difference to run 93 over regular old 87 octane? I would like to able to pour the same gas I use in my mower into my bike. If it is a difference, guess I'll just have to get another tank (or start using the good juice in the old mower!).

i really doubt you will feel a difference

You do. With 87 the bike runs ok. With 93 you get more rev out of it and better grunt. You cant feel the difference that much, but it is way better for your motor. Now I run 93 adn put NOS octane booster in my gas which bumps it up to 101 octane. IT cost me $8 a bottle which treats 16 gallons. It gives me way better over rev and more grunt. Not as good as VP but its cheaper. I am going to switch to VP later on but not now. I have been running my bikes like this ofr over a year. SO I know its works fine.

You do. With 87 the bike runs ok. With 93 you get more rev out of it and better grunt. You cant feel the difference that much, but it is way better for your motor. Now I run 93 adn put NOS octane booster in my gas which bumps it up to 101 octane. IT cost me $8 a bottle which treats 16 gallons. It gives me way better over rev and more grunt. Not as good as VP but its cheaper. I am going to switch to VP later on but not now. I have been running my bikes like this ofr over a year. SO I know its works fine.

Those octane boosters you buy at the auto parts store really don't work that well. If you want to run pump gas and boost its octane try reading up on toluene and xylene.

beacuase your gas tank is only 2 gallons and here in cali 93 is 20 cents more it only costs like 40 cents more. Yeah if you fill up a five gallon it adds up but its worth it. My buddy ran premium through his 06 for like 4 mon ths then had 5 gallons of 87 so he used that. His bike made a funny "pinging" under regular acceleration, he freaked but when he drained the gas and put 93 back in it went away. So what i do when im in a pinch is run the middle one(i forget the name) but i usually mix that with the remaining premium and it should be okay. Oh and my nieghbor who hauls gas in his semi says that 87 tends to be a little dirtier. Anyone know a way to calculate how much octane to add to like 93 to make it like 100. Cuz my neighbor says he occasionally hauls PURE OCTANE for a chevron plant and said if i want he drain a gallon into a can for me.

beacuase your gas tank is only 2 gallons and here in cali 93 is 20 cents more it only costs like 40 cents more. Yeah if you fill up a five gallon it adds up but its worth it. My buddy ran premium through his 06 for like 4 mon ths then had 5 gallons of 87 so he used that. His bike made a funny "pinging" under regular acceleration, he freaked but when he drained the gas and put 93 back in it went away. So what i do when im in a pinch is run the middle one(i forget the name) but i usually mix that with the remaining premium and it should be okay. Oh and my nieghbor who hauls gas in his semi says that 87 tends to be a little dirtier. Anyone know a way to calculate how much octane to add to like 93 to make it like 100. Cuz my neighbor says he occasionally hauls PURE OCTANE for a chevron plant and said if i want he drain a gallon into a can for me.

You really don't understand what "octane" is. :thumbsup:

he occasionally hauls PURE OCTANE for a chevron plant and said if i want he drain a gallon into a can for me.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

you cant have "pure" octane tom. its the gas and how fast or slow it burns

nvmd, its the additive that they use to make the difference in the gas, he tried to explain it to me like 3 times and i gave up. and no i dont exactly know what octane is cause i spend time working on my bike, im not a fuel scientist. Ill get the name of what they call this base from him when i see him next. I know it sounds stupid but im not joking. He uses it to mix it for his Blown El Camino he races.

thanks for at least tryin to take it seriously as stupid as sounds...now all i have to do is read that about 10x then get out the dictionary and figure out some of those chemicals.

haha just read over it and get the general idea of what octane is :thumbsup:

I don't trust octane booster. Since I used in a kx125 and shortly after my crank bearings were TOASTED. The only thing I can think of is it was that octane booster. I don't fully understand the whole octane thing so I may be wrong. :thumbsup:

same thing happened in my 85. our engine guy said that those octane boosters are quite watery and that whatever doesnt get burned goes into your bottom end. thats what happend on my old bike. the crank bearings rusted and my bike seized

enligthen us then Bill Nie the Science Guy

All the octane rating of gas means is the gasoline's ability to resist pre detonation, which causes knocking.

yes. if u use 87 shit hole gasoline, ur bike will mis-fire. i wouldnt advise using 87. use 91 or higher.