Sign in to follow this  

thinking of switching from honda to ktm??

as of now i ride an 04 crf250. i have been thinking about ktm for the longest time now. if i get one ill get an 05 or 06, (if im lucky an 07) sx250f. i talked to someone at the track that just got a ktm and asked how he liked it, he said its great but im switching to honda. when i asked why all he said was "money". he said when something breaks on a ktm its like double the price of any other bike to get it fixed. my question is, is that true, and if so, what do you normally see go bad/ break on ktms? thanks

its true and not only is money the factor waiting for your parts is another the parts take forever to get in these bikes aren't jap bikes where everyone has one my buddy rides a ktm and he has nothin but problems with his hydralic clutch i would stick with your honda thats what i ride

I've ridden them all. Red, yellow, green, blue and orange. Parts on the KTM's are in the ballpark as far as price, and availibility. I've had to wait on Honda parts, and I've recieved KTM parts overnight from Ohio. Get a KTM if you want one.

its true and not only is money the factor waiting for your parts is another the parts take forever to get in these bikes aren't jap bikes where everyone has one my buddy rides a ktm and he has nothin but problems with his hydralic clutch i would stick with your honda thats what i ride

I completely disagree. I worked at a KTM/Honda dealer. I can tell you that the parts are NOT more expensive in most cases. Some Honda parts are more money than KTM parts. As far as supply is concerned, we stocked the same parts for both brands.

The Hydraulic clutch is a much better piece than the Honda cable clutch. It does not fade like a cable clutch will. It takes half the effort to pull in, and because of this, we have many Honda customers converting their cable clutches over to the hydraulic style. Magura makes a conversion kit.

And to add to all of this, the KTM valves actually last longer than three rides, unlike most Honda valves on the 250F and 450F. I hated that I had to replace my Honda valves half way through the season on BOTH my Honda's, and yes, I am a certified tech.

I suspect you will be happy with either brand, but the KTM is in most categories a better unit in my opinion. Good luck with your decision. :thumbsup:

awesome. thanks for your input peoples. im starting to lean towards ktm... well see how this new 07 crf 250 head is, thatll make my decision.

The 07 250 SX-F does not have electric start. THe 450 does, and so does the 250 XC-F, but not the 250 SX-F

KTM parts are NOT expensive, the one big thing I noticed is KTM dealerships will carry "KTM hard parts" in stock, Honda dealerships will carry lots of street stuff. KTMs are much more heavier duty built, everything can/will break, but the KTMs are so much easier to work on, KTMs suspension is coming along.

KTM parts are more expensive than comparable Japanes parts. ( tried a tranny rebiuld in a 450 sx lately?) Generally KTM parts are not stocked as well either, but are ordered quickly enough. My 450 sx used top ends and valves at the same frequency (one rebuild per year), as my CRF. The SX clutch is better than the Honda cable, but fixing problems is very expensive on th SX clutch (bought a slave cylinder lately?) . They are all good bikes, just dont buy into the hype about better anything, just pick a bike that you like with good local dealer support, and have fun. :thumbsup:

KTM parts are more expensive than comparable Japanes parts. ( tried a tranny rebiuld in a 450 sx lately?) Generally KTM parts are not stocked as well either, but are ordered quickly enough. My 450 sx used top ends and valves at the same frequency (one rebuild per year), as my CRF. The SX clutch is better than the Honda cable, but fixing problems is very expensive on th SX clutch (bought a slave cylinder lately?) . They are all good bikes, just dont buy into the hype about better anything, just pick a bike that you like with good local dealer support, and have fun. :thumbsup:

As I already stated I worked for a dealer that had both KTM, and Honda. I myself, have owned over 6 Honda's and 5 KTM's. Between my Dad, and brothers, we have owned over 40 Honda's and KTM's, which does not count the Yamaha'a and Kawasaki's we had. The KTM parts are NOT more expensive in most cases. Some Honda parts are more money than KTM parts. I don't know if your dealer was hosing you, or what, but retail for retail, the parts are all very close. I have NEVER replaced parts on any of my hydraulic KTM clutches, or have we hardly sold any out of the dealership as replacement parts. I sell a ton of clutch cables for CRF 450's. Allot of the KTM OEM parts ARE better quality parts than the Honda's. If you read any of the off road mags over the last 10 years, they always say the same thing: KTM has the best parts in the business.

You see, I deal with hundreds of bikes. You are dealing with three or four. It's all a matter of perspective, and mine is large, compared to yours. I am not trying to say"oh, look at me and all the bikes i have been around". What I am saying is your perspective is nor as wide, which could have lead you to form an in-accurate opinion. I hope you see that I am not trying to be arrogant, but I am trying to help triplejumper get accurate info.

P.S. We sold almost the same number of Honda's and KTM's.

I have accurate info, as I have been racing KTM's for 3 years and now a CRF for one year. You are giving biased info, as you should, being a DEALER rep. KTM parts ARE more expensive at the retail pricing level, and not many dealers carry a good stock, but they can be ordered in short order. KTM parts fail just as often as the japanese parts, PERIOD. Dont tell me what my experiences are please, just stick with your own opinion. :thumbsup:

I have accurate info, as I have been racing KTM's for 3 years and now a CRF for one year. You are giving biased info, as you should, being a DEALER rep. KTM parts ARE more expensive at the retail pricing level, and not many dealers carry a good stock, but they can be ordered in short order. KTM parts fail just as often as the japanese parts, PERIOD. Dont tell me what my experiences are please, just stick with your own opinion. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure how accurate your info is, but from time to time one of the mags (Dirtrider?) does a comparison on parts pricing as part of their shootouts. Look for some of the back issues and you'll find one...it's not too uncommon. Some parts are more expensive and some are cheaper. I'd say it evens out to about the same. It's kind of hard to blame KTM for what a dealer keeps in stock or what specific dealers use as a markup. I haven't had to walk into a dealer the last couple of years, so I could care less. It's easier just picking up the phone and having it delivered to my door.

I race as well:Have for 10 years.

2006 KTM 250 SX-F....125 INT class

2006 CRF 450 Vet INT class

I am not a dealer rep, as I did not say what i did for the dealer, I just said I worked for One. In fact I work for a few, as I do consulting for them as well as other things. This gives me access to inventories, retail pricing, dealer pricing, warranty info, as well as the main dealer which I do most of the work for, which I have access to number of bikes inventory sold,amount of margin,etc. etc. :ride:

As far as your last comment, I apologies. I did nor intent to tell you your opinion. I am sorry it was viewed this way.

Yeh one of the magazines has a parts list with costs in the bike shootouts and it seems to me that the Suzuki parts are the most expensive. As far as availability I think your dealer would make the biggest difference. My Honda dealer is terrible they have to order everything ( "O" rings, piston rings, cables) you name it they don't have it! LOL My KTM dealer has alot of parts example 01 520 swing arm I cash at the Elsenor GP and someone hits it and bends it up (the bike 2 months old) They have one in stock! The point is it is the dealer that will make or break you on this stuff!

lol this is the weirdest sounding thing to me because in England/Europe it's the opposit way around with prices and availablity with KTM and the Japanese brands. In England Japanese OEM parts are really expensive and hard to get. With KTM the parts are cheaper and have alot better availibility and all the dealers tend to be more helpful, not to mention all the genuine accessories they do (PowerParts, PowerWear) at a good price. It's wierd, but I look on OEM parts suppliers for Japanese brands in the U.S and I am amazed as to what prices OEM stock japanese parts are (LOW). It's no wounder everyone loves Japanese bikes in the U.S

I have an 04 450sx, 06 250 sxf, and an 03 crf 450. It is easier to work on the KTM's. I have found that parts are pretty much the same price as the other bikes. The 06 KTM's are much better that the 04. The way the ktm is put together with everything is much better than the Honda. When you have both side by side you can really tell a difference. And with the suspension and handling being much improved its a good choice.

Even if some of the KTM parts are a tad bit more expensive. It makes them cheaper when you only have to replace things half as many times or less than on a Honda we rode those things for years they are complete junk compared to a KTM. KTMs are bulletproof and I have had better luck with my parts for the KTM being in stock than they ever were for the Honda. I guess when you are ordering parts every other day for the red ones though they are bound to be out of something.

Some parts are more expensive but some are just darn right nice priced. Try to get a complete new set of OEM plastic for Honda CRF250 for a hundred bucks. Good Luck.

The key to affording all these thumpers is just good normal maintenance. I bleed Orange now and will never go back to red. :devil: