250 xc-f w jetting

I bought my 250 xcf-w Saturday and i love this bike. I switched from a CRF 450 that I thought was great to a machine that I think will be perfect for me. I have about three hours on the bike and so far so good. The suspension will need some tweeking but my big concern is the jetting. The dealer gave me a 45 and 42 main jets for the bike and told me to block off the jet in the bowl of the carb. This advice The bike does not what to take gas when the idle has dropped off. The bike seems to be extremly lean to me. Does anyone have a fix for this problem ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok you have different ways to go here, 1# JD jet kit ava...#2 install needle out of "SX" 250F at the #5 clip from the top, use STOCK #40 pilot, use STOCK 168 main, turn fuel screw 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 turns out, bike runs like a rocket ship...The JD jetting kit has the 2 different needles, 4 main jets, different leak jet, and those acc pump rubber o-rings...

Been messing w/mine for about a week and ended up w/ 42 pilot, out 2 turns on fuel mixture, raise needle w/clip on 5th position, stock 168 main, with Zip-Ty adjustable fuel mixture the 40 pilot is too lean. When hot have to crack throttle a hair but will start right up. Tried the 40 pilot again yesterday and the bike hates it, but most people are using the 40, could be the machining on the mixture screw. 80 degrees, North Jersey. I'll still get the JD kit soon, but it runs way better than stock now. If the engine braking is too much raise your idle a bit, helps alot. Came off a 450 myself and love this little scooter.

Hey Steve,

Lou here, I bought your old 250EXC. How does your new pumpkin compare with your Yam YZF? I'm running a 2006 YZF but this little KTM really has my interest. I might be forced to run out and buy one. Sounds likie the perfect Senior (old man) bike. Should I get it?

They are awesome. But availability of the new xcf's and w's might be a problem. My dealer only got one and I got it. He's supposed to get another one later this year and he wants that one for himself. Seems that most are already spoken for but I do hear rumors of some larger dealers with a few in stock.

Hey Lou, if u ride a new W you will buy one. Less top heavy feel, actually lite feeling on the trail especially nasty stuff we ride, a ton of motor low to mid, Yammie may pull a bit stronger mid-top but not on very top. Bike has an unbelievable top end, took it down the road and it never stopped pulling just goes and goes. Fork very good so far, I'm 200 w/gear, shock is worlds better than my re-valved 04. I'm doin an enduro soon w/Fontannazza, u can try the bike during the day, or at the Unadilla GNCC. See ya.

Do you have the XCF model or the XCF-W? From what I read in Dirt Rider they claim the W model 250 4 stroke doesn't feel like a typical wide ratio. I"m thinking with the plusher suspension the W would be the way to go.

When I first got my XC-W I was concerned that the ratios were too far apart, but because the overall gearing is so much lower, the gearing isn't as widely spaced as one would think, second pass on the street in front of my house was a good 2nd-5th gear power wheelie, no big gaps in that transmission...2nd-5th will be MX track approved, esp with 312 kit installed....

Hey Lou, bought the W because I wanted a true woods bike again after being on and beating myself up on a crf-450. Don't worry about wide ratio gaps, there are none. I heard the valving would be softer on the W yet still stiff enough to do Claverack or Southwoods old school type motocross. Rode again last nite, bike really feels stable and never, ever shakes it head, even w/out damper. Thinking the jetting is perfect now, may not need JD kit. Hit 70mph easily down the road w/plenty of throttle left, can't imagine how fast this little thing goes. Everybody who rides the bike from AA to novice cannot believe how powerful it is, then how light it is. Swapped w/ a really well set-up xc-200 last nite, it only felt a hair lighter and the motor, as good as it is, couldn't hold a candle to the W. W doesn't carve a turn like a crf-250, has a bit slower turn in, but much more bark to the motor. I guess it sounds like I like the bike, but don't even try and ride your new one till you richen up the needle, and put in an adjustable fuel mixture screw, although xc may come with a different needle, not sure.

Hey Lou, bought the W because I wanted a true woods bike again after being on and beating myself up on a crf-450. Don't worry about wide ratio gaps, there are none. I heard the valving would be softer on the W yet still stiff enough to do Claverack or Southwoods old school type motocross. Rode again last nite, bike really feels stable and never, ever shakes it head, even w/out damper. Thinking the jetting is perfect now, may not need JD kit. Hit 70mph easily down the road w/plenty of throttle left, can't imagine how fast this little thing goes. Everybody who rides the bike from AA to novice cannot believe how powerful it is, then how light it is. Swapped w/ a really well set-up xc-200 last nite, it only felt a hair lighter and the motor, as good as it is, couldn't hold a candle to the W. W doesn't carve a turn like a crf-250, has a bit slower turn in, but much more bark to the motor. I guess it sounds like I like the bike, but don't even try and ride your new one till you richen up the needle, and put in an adjustable fuel mixture screw, although xc may come with a different needle, not sure.

Yours doesnt turn as good as a honda?? Id take it back.LOL

Steve, I just picked mine up tonight and it does seem to be lean in the transition to midrange. With only 20 minutes this thing is so tight. Do you think I should go ahead a raise the needle or give it a little time first? But man, it is strong for a 250.

I'd raise the needle to 5th position right away, 2 turns out on fuel mix screw, then if it still pops with a little backfire, go up one on pilot to a 42. Mine was almost unridable with stock jetting and would barely idle. Bike will get stronger as it breaks in. If engine breaking bothers u, raise idle and it will almost disappear. Don't worry about bike bogging on the stand as others have said, four strokes never like the throttle wacked open unless they have a wired pump, IMO. I still may try JD kit w/oring on pump, but it runs damn good now. Once broken in the bike will feel like it had a bigger motor installed. U may not need to put in larger pilot, you'll know right away if u do, as it will pop on decelleration and idle funny even w/ fuel mixture adjustments. I'm in North jersey ride between sea level and maybe 800 ft. Love the scooter!