What gear does a newbie need?

I'm on a 2005 CRF250R and have no gear to ride. I am just getting into this as a hobby and do not plan to race or even ride a track (practice) until I'm comfortable on a bike. It will be all local trails and fields.

I am wondering what gear I should get to learn with. I am not trying to look like a pro but want to protect myself in the proper way.

I did order an HJC - AX2 helmet (which is Snell and DOT approved). I also know that I have to have a good pair of BOOTS (any suggestions to save $$$ will be appreciated), but what else do I NEED?

I stress the word 'need' because I do not think I need a jersey or pants yet (unless they do serve a functional purpose during the ride!).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah man you really just need helmet, boots, gloves, and goggles. I would suggest some type of knee protection...just something. And as far as boots i would suggest investing a little money in them because you can use them for a long time and a good pair of boots makes a difference on how your feet feel at the end of the day. Try getting a nice used set possibly.

You need to get some boots. If you can afford good boots now get them, they will last you a long time. I like tech 8's, but if you don't have that kind of $$, try the Fly talons, or the Fly 805.(The Talons are very similar to tech 8's) Also get some goggles (spy) and some gloves. Also pants do serve more of a purpose than you think. Right now all the new 07 gear is on the shelves, so you can pick up last years models for 1/2 off. You can get set up with pants, jursey, gloves for under $100. And something every body should wear is a chest protector. For all this stuff you should just go try it on, and see what fits you best. Eventually you should get everything. shin/knee guards, elbow guaards, kidney belt, ext. Safety gear is a lot cheaper than a hospital bill. ?

You don't need a jersey, but you might need pants. I wore jeans my first couple times riding and they rub all over your legs and it hurts.... I bought some riding pants that were on sale and they feel soooo much better, so if you can afford to pic up a cheap pair of pants go for it!

No one has mentioned it yet, but I highly recommend a neck nut. A feller I road with broke his neck a couple of months back and he wasn't wearing one. Now, he may still have broken his neck even if he had one on, (no one will ever know), but it's worth the $30 - $40 to be as safe as possible.

I'd like to see them required at all tracks just as helmets are required. MX is an inherently dangerous sport and it's best to protect yourself.

<www.motosport.com/product.jsp?path=-1|4268|5742|121089&id=75511>

No one has mentioned it yet, but I highly recommend a neck nut. A feller I road with broke his neck a couple of months back and he wasn't wearing one. Now, he may still have broken his neck even if he had one on, (no one will ever know), but it's worth the $30 - $40 to be as safe as possible.

I'd like to see them required at all tracks just as helmets are required. MX is an inherently dangerous sport and it's best to protect yourself.

<www.motosport.com/product.jsp?path=-1|4268|5742|121089&id=75511>

I was going to bring it up, but because he's a new rider I didn't think he was going to be hitting any big jumps, but yes it is a very good piece of gear to have, BUt personally I would only wear it on a track, not on trails.

u dont really need a jersey but here's what u really NEED. i know how u feel because i dont have tons of money so gear was real expensive for me but it's worth it. buy some good boots (fox trackers), knee/shin pads(shift of fox ones for about $13), pants, gloves, goggles. and if u start riding on a track, get a chest protector because having rocks flung at ur chest hurts real bad!

Boot sizes are all over the map. I tried on probably 15 different sets of different sizes and ended up with 1 whole size larger than my shoe size. For trail riding a nice smoked goggle lens is really nice to help keep the glare down.

When I started riding last year I bought (and wear EVERY time I ride):

Boots (Sidi FlexForce)

Wool socks

Shin / knee guards (cheapies)

Fox 180 pants / Jersey

Acerbis roost guard

Elbow guards (cheapies)

Gloves

HJC AC-X2 helmet

Oakley goggles

Its not inexpensive but all the gear is well worth it. You WILL crash and every bit of protection helps. Everytime I've gone down I've benefited from a different piece of gear and I haven't been seriously injured yet....and I crash, A LOT ?

Boots also protect the shins yes...Those are pretty important even though i dont like wearing them.

One time when i was riding.....on my way home a huge rain storm hit...flooded the trails and instantly everything was covered in mud...no more than 200 yards from my house i came down a hill, front brake locked up, and my leg landed on the headpipe of my CRF as the bike laid down. Burned right through the riding pants leaving a 2nd degree burn on my leg in about 2 seconds before i noticed it....hurt like hell but i rode back home anyway.

Point is if i would have had my boots on....it would have melted some of the boot a little but no damage to me.

I should use that as a lesson to myself but i just hate riding in boots...I use either carpenter boots or my old ass shoes...I can never "feel" the back brake with those boots on and its just akward....I guess i need to get back to using them often and ill re-adapt to it.

I should use that as a lesson to myself but i just hate riding in boots...I use either carpenter boots or my old ass shoes...I can never "feel" the back brake with those boots on and its just akward....I guess i need to get back to using them often and ill re-adapt to it.

That is an EXCELLENT POINT and one I was kind of afraid to ask on here. Those boots appear to be pretty stiff and I imagine it is hard to get used to 'feeling' your brake. Also, getting your toe under the shifter to shift has to be difficult without the flexibilty of tenners. I have only ever ridden in shoes and don't know how I would do in boots. I also don't like the idea of having a second degree burn on my leg. Did that when I was very young and was too little to lift the big azz PE175 off my leg.

No doubt I am getting boots...just thinking about the difficulty of learing to ride and learning to ride with the extra difficulty of boots.

When I was completely new to the sport I thought boots looked weird and unnecessary...and too stiff.

SG10s, sidi crossfires, oxtars, tech 8, tech 10... I thought I left my $110 boots in the ER but found them the other day, they kept the bones from coming out of the leg and up until then they had protected me pretty good.

WEAR GLOVES - not sure if quality is important but just to keep the dirt out of you hands when you fall. Elbow and knee guards are cheap. And some of the pants have long rubber strips on the hips - there is a reason for those and glad I have them.

FYI - seems this time of year places are selling 2006 stuff pretty cheap on line because the 2007s are coming out, best of luck.

I used to ride my 600XL with work boots on 20 plus years ago....I can still tell you when it's going to rain!!!!

I broke my left leg in 3 places just above the boot above my ankle and split the main bone up to the knee!!!!

It wouldn't have happened if i was wearing proper boots!!!

I went out before the next season and bought the best books I could afford!!!

It took 13 weeks of being plasted from my bag to the tip of my toes before I could bend my leg again!!!

BUY the boots!!!

Willys

Im new to riding too and at the moment i only have a helmet, i dont go riding alot, but i can tell that having a pair of boots would really help! i just ordered some boots and i cant wait to get them so i can start riding harder ?

btw i think that gloves make contribute a ton to riding, i dont ever go riding, even if its around my yard without my gloves!

I HIGHLY suggest a chest protector! Not just for when you're jumping, but if you fall and take a barend to the ribs, you'll know why. When you can breath again after about ten minutes, the first words outta your mouth will be 'Geez, if I'd've just had a chest protector...'

When my step-daughter started puttering around on my Z50 pitbike, I bought her a helmet, gloves, goggles and a used chest protector from a kid that raced locally and had outgrown it.

The basic stuff mentioned in the posts above is correct, but get a CP!!