Sign in to follow this  

which is better in off-road, a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?

hi there folks,

kindly give your point of view(s) in this never-ending discussion or debate: which is better for off-road use, a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke motor bike, and why? :thumbsup:

cheers!!

p.s.

pls refrain from citing environmental reasons :ride: let's keep this thread to what it's supposed to be; context should only revolve on engine performance.

thanks.

I think its a matter of personal preferance. I feel that the 4 strokes are more predictable and although a little heavier, I think they are easier to ride.

2 strokes are bar none the best when it comes to sand. True, nothing stops a four stroke from being a great ride at the dunes, the powerband and lightness of a two stroke make it IMO superior on sand.

That being said, you could do well with either. Two strokes are easier to work on though. :thumbsup:

define 'off road use' and you'll get moe accurate resposes.

Assuming you're talking about full-size (250 2-stroke/450 4-stroke) bikes I'd take a 450 for high speed open style riding in the desert and a 250 for its nimble handling in the tight confines. For MX its open season.... ride whichever suits your style better and/or your faster on.

Well, as stated its mostly personal opinion/preference.

Having ridden both off-road the 4-strokes are easier (less wheelspin, more torque on hills etc) but I like the 2-stroke for light weight and snappier power.

2 strokes are far superior. I race AA class hairscrambles and enduros on a YZ250. I had a crf450 last season, and im much quicker on the YZ. The 2 stroke lightness lets you brake slide more efficiently, and there is less stalling than the 450. The 450 also seems uncomfortable at low speeds, ad tends to overheat. I've ridden the WR's and CRFX's as well, they are great bikes, but when it comes down to the tight twisting trails, the 2 stroke will come out first.

I hope his helps,

Wes

I like them both, but my four-stroke 250f is MUCH easier to ride on trails versus my YZ125. The YZ sometimes can feel like it's losing power on uphill climbs and even with pulling in the clutch it's hit or miss if I can regain the momentum I need for the climb and get into the right area for the powerband. And then of course for downhills a 2-stroke has no engine breaking so that's a bit more of a challenge (and scary at times).

Well, as stated its mostly personal opinion/preference.

Having ridden both off-road the 4-strokes are easier (less wheelspin, more torque on hills etc) but I like the 2-stroke for light weight and snappier power.

do you rather mean less wheelspin, more traction? torque is way too different and we know that same engine size, the 2-stroke rules, i.e. in stock version, a YZ250 produces 54 hp (at 8500 rpm) while a YZ250F only gives 41 hp (at 10,500 rpm). torque is something like the engine hp output divided by the rpm you need to produce that power, and 2-stroke are way too torquier cc-for-cc, as motocross26 puts it. :thumbsup:

it's very unfair actually these days that 125cc 2-stroke are pitted over with 250cc 4-stroke and 250cc 2-stroke against the 450cc 4-stroke. i don't know what's with the motocross rules these days and the objective behind such. are manufacturers just promoting the 4 cycles now and showing people that 4-stroke are better than 2-stroke...and mere men get influenced along the way? :ride::applause:

cheers!

2 strokes are far superior. I race AA class hairscrambles and enduros on a YZ250. I had a crf450 last season, and im much quicker on the YZ. The 2 stroke lightness lets you brake slide more efficiently, and there is less stalling than the 450. The 450 also seems uncomfortable at low speeds, ad tends to overheat. I've ridden the WR's and CRFX's as well, they are great bikes, but when it comes down to the tight twisting trails, the 2 stroke will come out first.

I hope his helps,

Wes

thanks mate, nothing beats the explosive power of the 2-stroke :thumbsup:

by the way, have also experienced that with some big bore air-cooled 4-stroke enduros i've ridden in the past that they don't like low speeds and tending to overheat...at times they tend to be finicky on gears you're in if you're not too conscious about your rpm.

cheers!

A 2 stroke is a lot less likely to stall. The chug a chug a chug of a 4 stroke can get you to stall on tree roots and big rocks sometimes.

I like my 05 yz 125 better than my crf450, ktm 525sx, cr250, wr250f or my ktm125sx

but it is really up to you and your style of riding

A 2 stroke is a lot less likely to stall. The chug a chug a chug of a 4 stroke can get you to stall on tree roots and big rocks sometimes.

I like my 05 yz 125 better than my crf450, ktm 525sx, cr250, wr250f or my ktm125sx

but it is really up to you and your style of riding

Yes I mean more unintentional wheelspin. I noticed the difference more on slick or muddy trails/hills. The 4-stroke tended to hook-up better rather than spin. I should point out it was a 250 four stroke I owned I am comparing to my YZ-250. I've only ridden my friends YZ450 once so I can't really compare the two (450 vs YZ250).

do you rather mean less wheelspin, more traction? torque is way too different and we know that same engine size, the 2-stroke rules, i.e. in stock version, a YZ250 produces 54 hp (at 8500 rpm) while a YZ250F only gives 41 hp (at 10,500 rpm). torque is something like the engine hp output divided by the rpm you need to produce that power, and 2-stroke are way too torquier cc-for-cc, as motocross26 puts it. :thumbsup:

it's very unfair actually these days that 125cc 2-stroke are pitted over with 250cc 4-stroke and 250cc 2-stroke against the 450cc 4-stroke. i don't know what's with the motocross rules these days and the objective behind such. are manufacturers just promoting the 4 cycles now and showing people that 4-stroke are better than 2-stroke...and mere men get influenced along the way? :ride::applause:

cheers!

41hp yz250f? a 125 2 stroke makes 30-35hp stock. i may be wrong but isnt the stock hp of a 250f between 30-35hp also? i might be slightly off but i know it is not 41.

41hp yz250f? a 125 2 stroke makes 30-35hp stock. i may be wrong but isnt the stock hp of a 250f between 30-35hp also? i might be slightly off but i know it is not 41.

hi mate, was referring to peak hp. YZ125 about 38-39 while YZF250 40-41 at screaming revs...(don't look at dirtrider magazine site, see yamaha motor sites rather). peak hp for the YZ250 (2-stroke) about 53-54 hp while YZF450 around 55-56 hp.

a honda CR500(?) in case you're interested - in stock it produces 68 hp at 8000 rpm, and when ported, about 73 hp. :thumbsup:

cheers!

hi mate, was referring to peak hp. YZ125 about 38-39 while YZF250 40-41 at screaming revs...(don't look at dirtrider magazine site, see yamaha motor sites rather). peak hp for the YZ250 (2-stroke) about 53-54 hp while YZF450 around 55-56 hp.

a honda CR500(?) in case you're interested - in stock it produces 68 hp at 8000 rpm, and when ported, about 73 hp. :thumbsup:

cheers!

I find all the manufacturers web site figures on HP and weight to be highly, ah, optimistic to say the least.

cheers!

Maybe at the crank.

125s- Mid 30s

250Fs- Mid-high 30s

I have a 2005 RMZ 450 that I have put on the dyno several times. I was testing different pipes to see which one was the best. The most rear wheel HP I saw during all the testing was about 51 HP.

I use my YZ250 maily for tight desert/woods singletrack, and just basic woods riding, and for tight technical SX style tracks. My CRF450R is much more suitable for higher speed desert/offroad riding and far superior on most MX tracks. I do have to say though, if I could have only one of the two, I'd definitely say the 250 smoker is the most versatile, more reliable, and cheaper/easier to maintain - so I'd have to go with the YZ!

If you would be bouncing off trees in really tight trails, then a twostroke has a big advantage because of the lightweight, instant throttle response, and not having to tame a 250 pound fourstroke hopping and sliding around wet roots and rocks. But if its not insanely steep or tight, then a fourstroke would be better. In everything, i like my 2banger because its FUN.

cheers!

I think your calculations are really high. stock 250f's make about 35, while stock 250 cc two strokes make about 45 or 46. A stock 450f will make about 49 to 50. It also depends if its hp or bhp.

Wes