Sign in to follow this  

AMA Suzuki DS Series

Suzuki really has no hands on involvement of the event. They lend their name to the series and give a bike away at the end of the year to all participants across the country.

What you can expect at these organized dualsport rides is a heck of a good time. You'll usually have a club or promoter that's laid out a great course with some of the best riding in that area. The club or promo guy has made all the wrong turns so you don't have to. Jerry Counts, one of the legendary promoters on the west coast told me it takes 3 wrong turns to make a right one.

After the ride there's usually a barbeque or reception where everyone has a cool drink, raffles with lots of giveaways and new friends planning future rides.

I would strongly encourage you to give one of these rides a try, they're almost too much fun.

Good times. I'll check but I think there are 2-4 dual sport rides coming up in southern Ohio near Logan. One on Sept 30-Oct 1 will be more trails then road. I'll see if I can find the websight

The previous posts have been right on the money. :thumbsup: I found the trail rating system by www.dixiedualsport.com to be very helpful. :applause: The "land between the lakes dual sport" in KY is a blast. I have ridden it several times. There was one in Daniel Boone but I have no idea if it is still an organized event? :ride:

Both of these give a good description. NVTR has always let me pass without an actual check at the Shenandoah 500. That was with a Supertrapp EAR well packed with 6 disks on an XT350. My seat of the pants guess was that it is well below their max of 96 dBA. NVTR must have agreed with me.

To keep these rides open, you really want to go as quiet as you can. They are run on public roads through small towns and across private property so it would not take much to get them closed down. These AMA DS rides aren't races so excess noise from an aftermarket system is pretty pointless.

http://www.dixiedualsport.com/dbapage.html

http://www.nvtr.org/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&func=view&catid=2&id=396#396

I misunderstood, I thought they where hare scrambles. I ride with Dixie down here, so I understand the noise requirements.

Where are you at in Maryland? I just came back from Hagerstown & Martinsburg WV.

I have been to few DS's, and they tend to be different in each region.

A really neat one is @ the Land between the Lakes in KY. Jessie Thomas, an enduro rider from WAY back (sorry, Jessie!) lays out one of the most fun events we go to. The terrain is not that radical, and some of the single track is actually hiking trails or even mtn bike trails! Very fun, but can "sell out" after 250 signups. We ride them w/ Dirt DRZ's, KTM EXC's, etc. and full knobbies, but this is one event where a true dual sport w/ DOT Tires would still have a great time.

Expect 25% single track, 50 % dirt & gravel roads, 25% pavement. About 100 miles each day (Sat. & Sun.) w/ at least one gas stop. Take cash on the ride, typically you will go 50 miles out, then gas up at a store, then 50 miles back to camp. Breakdowns suck, but @ LBL, you are never more than a few miles from the main road. There is a sweep crew, if you have trouble.

The cost is est. $80 to $100 for both days, and a couple of meals are included at most events. Ride at your own pace, but respect the other riders. It's not a race. If your fast, don't push others, they'll let you by. If your slow, move over when you can. Hope to see you there!

I've done 2 of these dual sports this year, Durty Dabbers in Mill Hall, PA and the Quarry Run in Hancock, NY. They are about as much fun as you can expect in a weekend. The trails are amazing and there are "bail outs" for all the hero sections (not that I would ever consider bailing out on a hero section :ride: ), so don't worry about your skill level.

I'm hooked. :thumbsup:

just finished land between the lakes and cant wait for the renfro valley ride this spring ,renfro is the most challenging of the rides making it the most fun!

Postalrider

Could you elaborate on the renfro vally ride? I have never ridden it but would like to. The terrain is more hilly so I would expect rocky rooted washed out hills? In May it could also be muddy making the hills worse? If there is anything else let us all know!!

Do you think it would be doable on a DRZ 400 S with full knobbies and Low low gearing? How strict are the sound and other rules enforced?

you can do it! have u ever rode at bobby mccoins in livingston tn ?its not that brutal! no sound checks or anything just have a plate and your license on you ,this year it stormed on us making it more fun ,i think less than 25 riders actually did the 125 miles on saturday,i did see some guys with trials tires riding in the muck swearing they were having fun. i will stick to knobbys on the wr just to play it safe ,and yes there is some hills, [big as hills ]we always help any rider up that needs help .i overheard a rider from ohio say after renfro the rest of the dual sports are boring in comparison ,hope this helps ,THE DISTRAUGHT POSTALRIDER

I was a disappointed by the Renfro Valley ride last April. I run the Shenandoah 500 every year and have become used to the super support and backup they have there. The ride planners provide lots of course info ahead of time so you can get back on course later if you have bail for some reason. At Renfro, I showed up with lame a** tires and bailed early. Then I discovered that I couldn't get back on the course later because the only maps provided were the strip charts. Very, very nice people, but they could learn something from some of the other events.

Better explanation of the terrain would be helpful. I was expecting a dual-sport ride and got an enduro. My father in law loved it though, so it isn't all bad. Just wish I could have ridden more of the course.

We just did "Baby Burr" in Southern Ohio. Very VERY dusty but a good ride. Steve Barber and his crew do a great job. The trails are mark so well you almost don't need a roll chart. The trail heads had red arrows and then they would add green arrows if you wants to take the "Hero" or "Enduro" section. What I like about that is if I like harder trails but my buddies are newer they stay on the red, I hit the green and we meet up at the end of that trail head and start riding together again. Food was good and they had a good mixture of road/trail. Wish it had been muddy but the last 3-4 were muddy so we got a dry one this yr. If you want more info for next yr heres the link. http://www.enduroriders.com/