Sign in to follow this  

Slipping..... need help

i have a 98' rm125, last time it was out, i took it to the dunes about 3 months ago. yesterday, i put a brand new knobbie back on, changed the oil etc. i put in a synthetic blend in the tranny. so, i took it up and down the street and it feels like it's slipping. is it possible for a new knobbie to slip that much on asphalt? it didn't seem to with old knobbies. or is synthetic a bad move for the clutch. or lastly, the bike was getting pissy with me the end of that last session- having a hard time shifting into third. it has always had that usual suzuki crap clutch that won't allow starting in gear. did i maybe fry my clutch last time out and now it's slipping? i need to diagnose this before going out again. thanks for the help.

Definitely sounds like your clutch is slipping. If the synthetic oil you put in is a motorcycle specific transmission oil then that shouldn't cause the clutch to slip. Take it apart and measure your plates for wear. But first, make sure your cable is properly adjusted.

okay, here's another thing i don't get. the bike has that all too familiar drag to it- you can't kick it over in gear. but at the same time, it seems to be slipping. so on one end, it grabs too much and on the other end, it isn't grabbing enough. i pulled it apart the other day and the inside of the basket was notched only on the very inside friction plate. i filed down the notches a little to smooth them out. the basket seemed fine other than that. can't tell if the plates are worn out because i don't have a refrence point (like a picture from someone else) or a tool to measure. i also heard to use a CR perch- better leverage or something? this is driving me crazy.