Sign in to follow this  

i just bought a 1994 rm 250

ive only had a hour on it but ive found some problems ,if anyone can help me cure them and give me some tips on getting this bike tip top it would be very helpfull

here's what ive found so far

1 it has no idle screw someone put a bolt in there!! so that needs sorting

2 there is a bit of water that comes out of the pipe thats near the rad cap ,it seems milky .i am thinking change the water and cap and see how it goes(there is no pressure in the pipe's)

3 it seems to have a bit of a missfire on the power band but it cleer's when it gets hot ,hopefully a good carb cleen or a main change jet will fix this also someone's drilled some inch holes in the air box (looks like i need a new air box too)

4 i'am not sure if its me not kicking it hard enoth but some times if i dont get it started first kick (whitch it dose 9 out of ten times) it seems to back fire ,is this normal

thanks for your time ~tris

My 1992 RM has a tiny bolt with locknut which is the idle speed adjuster (Mikuni flatslide NTM38SS) This is correct. Is the oil milky coloured too? Possibly leaking into each other via water pump seal? Clean the carb and air filter and check for any up and down play in the end of the crankshaft. (Remove cover on left hand side, grab the rotor and try and move it up and down. Any play and your main bearings will need replacing which might be giving it a slight air leak). PM me if you're stuck with any of that info and try http://www.trailbikemag.com/forum

There's a good bunch on there and all very helpful. Cheers, Ben.

thanks ben

glad to know that the carb screw is ok

the oil dose'nt look bad but ive not had tine to drop it. am i correct in thinking the gear oil is atf dextron 2 ?

as for the bearings i hope there not worn i wanted to wait till the bad weather comes and give it a full rebuild

if i dont touch the big end bearings do i need to balance anything with spliting the crankcase open

ive never split a bike crankcase

ps i'am car mechanic so i should'nt find it too hard to do

ok so yesterday i started it up it ran for 1 to 2 min's and now it has no spark arrr so i think this might have been why it was back fireing where do i start looking

Hi Tris, sorry, haven't been on for a couple of days. Check all wiring has good connections, good earthing points, no water in cable insulation. If all of that looks good we'll need to do resistance checks on the pickup etc. I have a manual so hopefully I can cross reference everything. Have you tried another plug? Don't wanna teach gran to suck eggs here!! :ride: (I'm a car mechanic too!!) :applause:

Oh, and they are dead easy to strip too. Just keep the gear clusters together with elastic bands when you remove them. You'll need to whip the left cover off anyway to check the electrical side so you just as well check the crank for play. Let me know and good luck!!! :thumbsup:

hi chancho196 checked all wires today and man all the connections where brown aaaarrrrrr a good cleen up and new kill switch and its running fine (seems a little rich) :thumbsup:, man all the flywheel is rusty so thats gonner need a good cleen at some point.

bearings seem good no play at all

proberly going to need a bit of advice with my forks Ive got a bad leak ,but i think its the drain bolt at the bottom but i'am not sure.

o well ive got some time now to give it a good going over, my brother fell off his bike at weekend and broke his collar bone ,lol his right hand grip game off at slow speed and he fell funny .i told him not to put them on with wd40

Strewth that's bad luck!!! Mine runs slightly rich too. I've gone down to a 330 main jet, new needle in lowest position and it's a lot better but the 1992 model was renowned for running rich. I guess that they had to find a happy medium and send them all round the world. The owners had to sort it from there. I changed the oil in my forks but seals were ok. They're also not too bad to work on when you get into it. The hardest part is bleeding the oil when refilling but thats ok when you've done it once. Glad to hear it's running ok now. (make sure that grips on tight!!)