Sign in to follow this  

Clutch problems on 06 driving me nuts!

Well after having a Barnett friction plate break(it had probably 20mintes on it) I have been having problems with my clutch.When I let out on the clutch lever in only 1st and 2nd gear it feels like there is another person taking my clutch lever and moving it in and out engaging and disengaging the clutch.

So I replaced the clutch plates and fibers with new OEM stuff and put in a new set of Pro Circuit clutch springs.Soaked the fibers overnight before I put them in and made sure the first and last friction plate were the smaller ones.Also made sure I put the one metal plate with the coating on it as the first one as per the manual.The plates and installed 100% correct and the basket and inner hub do not have groves in them.Also the pressure plate is NOT warped.

What else could my problem be?I was told that 1st and 2nd gear probably share the same shift fork and it could be a bent shift fork.Would that make sense?

Also I am useing Bel-Ray Thumper 10-40 along with K&N oil filters since day one.

The clutch is under a greater load in 5th gear than in any other. If the clutch doesn't cause you any problems in 3rd and up, it very likely is not a clutch problem.

Here's my question: does the bike act up in 1st and 2nd after the clutch is fully let out? Can you let out the clutch, roll the throttle off, and roll it back on and cause the problem? If so, it sounds as if your problem is worn locking dogs on the gears involved (1st & 5th, and 2nd & 4th "wheel" gears, those on the output shaft) and forks 1 & 3. The forks may be bent, but normally that would be a result of the force on them caused by the gears bouncing out of lockup. There is a small chance that the plate that retains the shift cam may be loose.

On the other hand, if the problem only occurs as the clutch is being engaged, and the engagement is ragged and jerky instead of smooth, then that would be a clutch problem.

Q:Can you let out the clutch, roll the throttle off, and roll it back on and cause the problem?

A:No, the bike will act perfectly normal UNTIL I pull the clutch in and let the lever out.

You probably have the beveled spring washer installed backwards! Check the manual for the orientation.

Also on some aftermarket clutch kits I have seen, they dont have the larger ID first plate to clear the beveled spring setup. Thus you have to remove the spring washers there and just run the friction and steels. This may cause it to be a bit jumpy if you try and take off easy, but that is it.