Sign in to follow this  

chain slack

on my manual for my 06 yz250f it says that there should be 1.9-2.3 inches of slack but it seems a little loose to me, I can hear the chain slapping around sometimes and I was wondering how much chain slack everyone else is running on their bikes.

You need a minimum of 1.9", and yes it looks a little loose. The information about what anyone with an '06 WRF does is meaningless, as that is a different chassis (last year's steel frame), and it has nothing whatsoever to do with the rider's weight.

Whatever the rider weighs, the rear suspension has to be able to travel through the entire stroke without the chain running out of the minimum amount of slack at the tightest point, which is roughly halfway through the stroke, at the point where the axle, swing arm pivot, and output shaft align. If you fail to provide at least that much clearance, the results can be harsh. I know of three '06 rear hubs that have been broken by chains that were set too tight.

Understand and follow the manual recommendations and you'll save yourself a lot of grief

on my manual for my 06 yz250f it says that there should be 1.9-2.3 inches of slack but it seems a little loose to me, I can hear the chain slapping around sometimes and I was wondering how much chain slack everyone else is running on their bikes.

If it is slapping get a better chain. My primary drive X-ring doesn't slap.

well I just put a did ert 2 gold chain on it a week or 2 ago its a great chain compared to the stocker which stretches like crazy. Maybe I should get a better chain slider would that help at all in quieting the noise?

I'm running 1.4 of slack, but it also depends on your weight. The manual should tell you that.

That is way too tight, I use the 3 fingers rule (measured at the end of the chain slider/guard) which for my fingers is around 2.3 inches.

TN_IMGP3735.JPG

That is way too tight, I use the 3 fingers rule (measured at the end of the chain slider/guard) which for my fingers is around 2.3 inches.

TN_IMGP3735.JPG

You know what?? You are absolutely right. I wont even tell you what noise it stopped making after I adjusted it correctly!!! Next time, I won't open my mouth on this forum unless I am absolutley sure my info is correct. Thank you

well I just put a did ert 2 gold chain on it a week or 2 ago its a great chain compared to the stocker which stretches like crazy. Maybe I should get a better chain slider would that help at all in quieting the noise?
What is it slapping against? Check to make sure it isn't hitting the inside of the frame near the swing arm pivot. If you find that it is, that means that you rear wheel is not aligned correctly (whether the marks say it is or not).

I use the 3 fingers rule

+2

(and I won't say anything perverted here, although several things come to mind...)

also, I put some silicone under the chain guide so it doesn't slide/rub on the swingarm. it also lessens the "CLACK-CLACK-CLACK" sound that a slapping chain makes.