Sign in to follow this  

Another FWW thread..... anyone regret getting the 8oz?

I ride almost exclusively in tight woods. I'm unsure if the 8oz GYTR flywheel would add enough weight for the lug I'm looking for, but I'm worried that an 11oz may add too much.

For all you FWW owners do you have any regrets with the weight you chose? Would you go heavier or lighter next time?

I'm especially interested in woods riders, but all comments are welcome as I'll also be riding track and dunes a few times a year.

I dont regret not getting something heavier.

I suppose the best weight is the lightest one that you do not stall while using. If thats so, the 8oz GYTR is perfect. Just enough to make a difference.

Thanks for the input.

Have you ridden a KTM300? How would you compare the flywheel effect to that motor?

I rode my friend's '06 YZ250 that has a Steahly 9oz FWW on it. I thought it was perfect. It could lug down real low and not stall, like my KTM does, but the power came on harder and quicker than my 300.

I rode my friend's '06 YZ250 that has a Steahly 9oz FWW on it. I thought it was perfect. It could lug down real low and not stall, like my KTM does, but the power came on harder and quicker than my 300.

With the Stealthy FWW does that require a spacer for the cover to fit over it?

the 11oz is what I have....I really like it. I ride motocross and the bike is by no means slow. 3rd and 4th gear pull forever....it's sweet.

(yeah,,,I made it over! LOL)

PICT0033.jpg

With the Stealthy FWW does that require a spacer for the cover to fit over it?

No, his bike didn't have a spacer.

I installed the GYTR one not to long ago and I honestly couldnt tell that much of a difference if at all...the only thing I felt it slightly improved was going off off jump faces you can give it more throttle and not worry about going out of control.

Bingo! a KTM300 owner saying it was perfect.

I love the 300, but it revs a little slow for my liking. Would you call the YZ250 w/ a 9oz fww right in the middle? I want 50% KTM300 and 50% YZ250....

I don't know about right in the middle, as I've never ridden a stock YZ.

All I know is I liked it a whole lot. Like I said it would still chug down low and pull strong and smooth off idle, without even being close to stalling, but the revs spooled up quicker than the 300. Which is exactly what I want.

I'll be on a YZ in a couple months.

One more thing, the owner of the YZ I rode said that while its really fun to ride with no flywheel weight, he said its virtually unrideable in tight woods and technical terrain. Does nothing but spin out of corners. He said the FWW makes it rideable, but the bike still is exciting and fast.

FWIW, he's a pretty fast rider. Currently in the points lead in Oregon's hare scramble series in the AA class.

the 11oz is what I have....I really like it. I ride motocross and the bike is by no means slow. 3rd and 4th gear pull forever....it's sweet.

(yeah,,,I made it over! LOL)

PICT0033.jpg

are you serious? i figured that would be CASED

Thanks KAS and everyone else for the input. It is a little much in the woods without a FWW... especially with stock gearing. I'm either sideways or exploding the rear tire constantly.

Satch,

that hurricane kit looks so nice. Excellent looking cycle dude!

are you serious? i figured that would be CASED

hehe.....that jump is 4th gear pinned...... A little tap of the back brake and over I went....not to the bottom...but I made it over enough to be nice and smooth. We rode that track for the first time Sunday and the first few attempts were ugly. Like anything else....once we nutted up it was a piece of cake. Now.....if I can just get the triple down........

PICT0018.jpg

I have the 11 oz and like it so much I sold the 300MXC. The catch is the YZ needs to be geared down to lug as well as my 300MXC with stock gearing. I'm at 8000 to 11000ft and I dropped 1 tooth in front to get that 300 feel in the tight stuff. The stock YZ suspension on my 03 was much better then the stock 2005 300MXC. I did put 125 springs on the YZ and lower fork oil level. I'm 175lbs Vet A/ Sen A enduro/HS rider.

Lately I like my 2003 YZ125 better then both of them!! I liked it so much I have a new 06 YZ126 on the way that I picked up for peanuts.

KH