Sign in to follow this  

What's in there?

How do I determine what rate springs are in my forks?

My understanding is that a prior owner of my 03 CR250 weighed about 210# and had stiffer springs installed (I'm around 170#). Well, based on how stiff the front end is, I'd have to agree. I'd like to be able to find someone with stock sprngs and make a trade, but that might be difficult without figuring out what I have to trade.

Can I count the windings, measure the coil diameter, etc. to determine what's in there?

Thanks.

How do I determine what rate springs are in my forks?

Can I count the windings, measure the coil diameter, etc. to determine what's in there?

Thanks.

You need to get a measurement on them which is done with a compression device and scale. Most suspension shops have them, or if you have a good scale and the means to compress the spring without them distorting or taking off, you could do this yourself, followed up with a little bit of math.

That is, if the springs are not marked, (which some of them are via notches, numbers, paint marks…etc.)

You can measure and count coils but there is seldom enough of a noticeable difference between various springs, not to mention that many manufactures have some large tolerances. In other words, many factory springs with known ratings still have to be measured and verified, if you're into that level of precision.