Sign in to follow this  

Distance of double

In a previous post, someone had asked about jumping doubles, and later somone added to that thread 15-30 foot doubles as being large. Are they reall considered big doubles? Or perhaps they are guessing at the distance, underestimating what they really are. The local track I ride at, has a prety gnarly double in the middle, and by looking at it from a distance you think 25-30 feet, but in actuality, its more like 50 feet. I guess its decieving, but what really is a large double? Like if you asked RC or reed, what would they say is a decent double they would see on supercross track? thanks

Are you sure you are not overestimating? You know the really big tour buses, like the newer Greyhound ones? Those are 45 feet long. So you are pretty sure that you are jumping more than the distance of a full size, Rockstar style tour bus?

a 60 ft double is considered big while a 60 foot table is considered small....i guess it just depends....ive been to ALOT of tracks and havnt seen many "real" doubles over 60 ft...but ive seen MANY tables well over 60

With a few exceptions, I've seen very few real doubles over 50-60 feet. Anything bigger than that usually has a tabletop for a landing or is just a tabletop. I've seen many 70-90 foot tabletops and a few 100+ feet, usually on private practice tracks or at some of the bigger race tracks around here. To me, BIG is not the same thing as technically difficult. Most of the time I have more trouble with the random steep, wierd angled 30-40ft double coming out of a rutted 180degree corner than I do the peaked 60 foot spectator double sittin in front of the bleachers. Actually pretty much everywhere the bigger jumps are the easiest, with the exception of a few(the mexican at Bremen being one..or Larocco's Leap at Red Bud...or Holy Schmidt at Millville) Big is not hard, just scarier to most.

Big is not hard, just scarier to most.

I agree with that. A friend of mine has his own private MX track and he has a 57' tabletop and that jumps scares the heck out of me.

I know I could easily clear it in 3rd gear, but Im not confident enough to go at it fast enough to clear it.

Any advice for getting over that fear, other that what my riding buddies have told me, "Just go for it and hope for the best".

I agree with that. A friend of mine has his own private MX track and he has a 57' tabletop and that jumps scares the heck out of me.

I know I could easily clear it in 3rd gear, but Im not confident enough to go at it fast enough to clear it.

Any advice for getting over that fear, other that what my riding buddies have told me, "Just go for it and hope for the best".

The joy with tabletops is that you can slowly build up the distance by jumpimg farthur and farthur untill you have cleared it, unlike a big double when its all or nothing from the start.

The joy with tabletops is that you can slowly build up the distance by jumpimg farthur and farthur untill you have cleared it, unlike a big double when its all or nothing from the start.

True. Thats what nice about the track I practice on, its all tables so its pretty safe.

After a while a 100' table top or double don't seem all that big after the third time until you come up a little short. They worst is when you over jump and land on the flat.

After a while a 100' table top or double don't seem all that big after the third time until you come up a little short. They worst is when you over jump and land on the flat.

Not quite as bad as when you case trying too scrub lol..

yeah broke all my spokes when I landed and bent my hub..

DAM, i've only done that on my BMX bike, and also hurt my wrists, lol. u pulled an Alessi. :thumbsup:

To me, BIG is not the same thing as technically difficult. Most of the time I have more trouble with the random steep, wierd angled 30-40ft double coming out of a rutted 180degree corner than I do the peaked 60 foot spectator double sittin in front of the bleachers.

I agree :thumbsup: those are more challenging and require more skill then who ever wants to hold it and cross their fingers. a tech jump is much more fun

for the distance question...

A standard supercross tripple is 60ft and i agree you probly will not see many doubles much more then 60 ft at your local track. after about 60ft tripples start being made, or table tops.

For me i would say 60-70ft is a fun normal size jump and 90-100ft is gettin big and any thing more then 110 is gonna be big .

In a previous post, someone had asked about jumping doubles, and later somone added to that thread 15-30 foot doubles as being large. Are they reall considered big doubles? Or perhaps they are guessing at the distance, underestimating what they really are. The local track I ride at, has a prety gnarly double in the middle, and by looking at it from a distance you think 25-30 feet, but in actuality, its more like 50 feet. I guess its decieving, but what really is a large double? Like if you asked RC or reed, what would they say is a decent double they would see on supercross track? thanks

dude that is from our fellow supercross star 1996cr125

To me a big double is a technical double, at the track yesterday I was having no trouble at all hitting a 75 ft step down triple but I was casing a 35ft step up double.

it also depends how steep the jump is. I have a little backyard track with about 4 jumps and the first one i made was a 40 foot double but the bottom of your tires only made it about 5 feet off the ground. the most recent one i made is a 40 foot double also but the bottom of your tires are 10+ feet at the highest point. i consider that big, but then again I don't race.

I would say a 50-60 foot double or 80 foot table top is "big." Or any jump that puts you 30 feet off the ground, also may be claimed as "big."