Sign in to follow this  

Rock hopping with the Z

Hi guys here with a couple of pics from my weekends ride. I was really surprised how well the S handled the rocks. It really can go almost anywhere :thumbsup:

Down into the valley

DSCF5968.jpg

Dry riverbed provides for lots of fun !

DSCF5973.jpg

DSCF5982.jpg

DSCF5983.jpg

And some singletrack

DSCF5980.jpg

Navigating the trail

DSCF5991.jpg

And a little video

th_Riverbed.jpg

In summer time the area is green and lush with some water in the riverbed, It should be even more fun, can't wait to go back !

i love seeing your part of the world.nice pics.the funny thing is it looks almost the same as my part of the world in the summer.i'm doing a DS ride next weekend and i'll post some pics. :thumbsup:

Looks like a nice little trail. Around here that would be considered very smooth for a riverbed, no 18" steps at all :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Grant

Yep in summer it's a totally different story as you have to contend with knee deep water and the rocks. But yes that section with my video is the easier part, it was a breeze on the DRZ even with my limited skills :thumbsup:

I took the easier route, the one you can see down below is about 4 miles long and you stay in the riverbed where you have to contend with fallen trees and boulders

DSCF5978.jpg

The Z suspension was built for that kind of stuff.

You have the irght bike but make sure you have knobby tyres for the summer wetness, otherwise you make it real hard for yourself.

Most of the riding I do is that sort of terrain, wet and dry and I would not use road legal tyres ever, even though I do need to go on roads ocasionally.

:thumbsup::ride::applause:

To this trail and back home is around 100 miles (tar) so I don't think knobbies will do, I have been looking at either D606 or Michelin T63's.

To this trail and back home is around 100 miles (tar) so I don't think knobbies will do, I have been looking at either D606 or Michelin T63's.

Cant find the D606 on the Michelin website but the T63 looks like a dual sport which would be only OK to acceptable.

If you are gonna do lots of dirt riding do what I did; buy a trailer or ute/truck and transport the bike to where you ride.

This way you can set the bike up more for dirt and only keep minimal road requirements for legality.

You can also bring a friend, their bike, lunch, drink, spares, fuel, female spectators/support crew. :thumbsup:

Cant find the D606 on the Michelin website but the T63 looks like a dual sport which would be only OK to acceptable.

If you are gonna do lots of dirt riding do what I did; buy a trailer or ute/truck and transport the bike to where you ride.

Sorry forgot to mention the D606 is a Dunlop, the Michelin is twice the price though ? But I had on on my XR 250 and it lasted well with good grip.

I would not want to leave a trailer or my car in some of the riding areas, the locals will remove it for you ... permanently :thumbsup:

On the bike your only worry is breaking down (but hey it's a DRZ) and being pelted with rocks.

I would go for a D907 In the dirt you want the knobs as far apart as possible for grip.

Just try not to ride it on the road too much and take it easy when you do.

Where about is that trail? I have just put my second rear D606 on my bike,the first one gave me around 3000km of 30% tar and 70% dirt,I am pretty happy with the performance.You should maybe take a look at the michelin AC10.

Where about is that trail? I have just put my second rear D606 on my bike,the first one gave me around 3000km of 30% tar and 70% dirt,I am pretty happy with the performance.You should maybe take a look at the michelin AC10.

Malkie check your pm's :thumbsup: