Sign in to follow this  

How long does it take you to check the valves ?

Having ridden XR's for almost 30 years, I realize now that the "once every four years" schedule my valve checks were on now going to change. Have read many posts about how and how often to check them on the CR250X.

My question is, after you have done them once, how long does it take to check them ? From picking up the first wrench, to setting the last one down ?

30-40 minutes from laying out the tools I'll need to putting them all back up, depending on how interested I am in working on the bike and if I get interupted by the phone or girlfriend.

20-30 minutes sounds about right to check them. To adjust the exhaust valves add about 15 minutes & 1/2 hour to adjust intake valves. The first time you do it it probably would take longer but I do mine and a couple friends so I have gotten pretty good at it.

I think it takes longer to remove the seat and radiator plastics than to remove the valve cover and check the valves. I spend most of my time cleaning the valve cover and gasket.

I don't think I've ever removed the shrouds from my tank. Checking the valves can be done in 15 minutes. If you look at the engine from the left side, just put the cam lobes at 2 o'clock. No need to line up marks in the right side hole.

It only takes me about ten seconds. If the bike won't start...they're tight. If it's noisy...they're loose.

I don't think I've ever removed the shrouds from my tank. Checking the valves can be done in 15 minutes. If you look at the engine from the left side, just put the cam lobes at 2 o'clock. No need to line up marks in the right side hole.

Actually both lobes aren't suppose to both be at 2 o'clock. The exhaust cam lobe is 2 o'clock and the intake is 10 o'clock. :ride: I like to do the sticking a long screw driver down the spark plug hole trick. Along with marking up the lines in the hole and making sure the "dots" on the cam are in the right position. Just to be sure.

Edit: I bought one of these http://www.motopowervideo.com/Yamaha.html (vid for valves) for the first time doing it. Money is well worth spent... It took me about and 45 minutes for my first time. :thumbsup:

yeah about half an hour at max. (pretty easy to check them)

I only check them when something makes me, like it starts to act like a punk when trying to start it cold. (even if it only does it once, or there is a loss of power) Pretty much if I have to kick my bike more than 5 times I will check the clearances, due to the fact my bikes always fires on the first kick.

However there are the times when i forget to turn the choke on or flood the thing, or a buddy floods it right before the start of a race (one of his favorite things to do if i am not paying attention).

I never put an hour meter on my crf-x, so I just checked them every 3-5 rides depending on how much time I had to devote to race prep during the week.