Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400 rear brake pads

Thinking about changing the rear brake pads on my '01 400K (kicker). Lost my service manual :ride:. Anyone know a good website that explains how to do it? I know it's not hard but I'm afraid if I get in there bending and pulling I'll create even more work. Oh yeah...the whole reason I decided to do this is because lately I'm having to push way down on my rear break pedal to engage the brakes. I guess that's the pads right? Don't know of any other adjustment. :thumbsup: That is all. Thanks.

Dont know of a good website but it sounds like you may have air in the hydraulic line.

First look at the pads from the rear of the bike (no need to remove the caliper) and if there is more than 2mm of pad material they should be OK - remember the pads have a steel plate between the caliper and the pad lining which should not touch the disc (rotor bolted to the wheel).

Second (assuming the pads are OK) check the reservoir on the master cylinder Pedal end.

If the fluid is low, it is time to bleed the air from the line. This is a good idea anyway if you haven't done it in over a year.

Bleeding - on the caliper you should have a nipple, like a grease nipple with a hole through the middle, you need a hose that will fit over this nice and snugly, I like to use a clear hose so I can see what comes out of the caliper as I do it.

Fit the hose over the nipple put the other end in a container to catch the old brake fluid - this is nasty corrosive stuff, keep it contained and wash off your hands because it can damage things if you get it everywhere.

Drain the reservior on the master and refill with new fluid.

While putting pressure on the brake pedal, loosen the nipple and allow the fluid/air to escape through the hose, pushing the pedal all the way down as the fluid comes out but do not let the pedal come back up until the nipple is tight.

Repeat this process at least 5 times checking/topping up the fluid in the reservoir as you do it, thus you will be replacing the fluid in the cylinders and line with new fluid.

When this is done, seal everything back up and clean up all spilled fluid - especially any on the brake disc and pads and test ride.

I think you will have a new feel to your back brake.

• Like 1

remove the pad pin cover with a slotted screwdriver. then remove the pad pin & pads. good time for fresh dot 4.

service manuals are worth their weight in gold.