Sign in to follow this  

Spark plug color using E10

E10 here is pump gas with 10% ethanol, giving it 95 RON octane rating (3 numbers higher than standard gas) and meeting the Suzuki minimum recommendation for my 06 E model.

Does anyone know what color this fuel makes the spark plug turn after a couple of tankfuls? Assuming the jetting is correct.

The bike is running well with this gas and seems to make no difference if I use higher octane premium or the reasonably high E10.

I don't think the E10 is going to hurt anything. As far as the 95 RON octane rating. I think RON is "Research Octane Number". If you have ever seen on the pumps where it says (R+M)/2. This means the average of the Research Octane and the Motor Octane. Research is always higher than the Motor so don't be fooled by somebody telling you than they have 95 octane if it's only the Research method they tested with. Cheers

Isn't roughly 91 RON basically what we in the states call 87 octane?

OK, so does the ethanol change the appearance of the plug at all?

Isn't roughly 91 RON basically what we in the states call 87 octane?

Yes Ed once said the states RON numbers are about 3 or 4 numbers lower than the measuring stick we use here.

I used to pull my plug to check if I was rich or lean. At the suggestion of Eddie I left it in. The bike runs well and I have pulled it a few times, normally it looks new or just a little brown.

Basically its all over the map. Basically if your DRZ pipes are not too blue and it runs well its safe to say that it is OK. This is all with 93 US gas.

I am jetting my FCR now. When I think it is close I will bring it to a dyno and get it dialed in....