Sign in to follow this  

overheating

should i worry about sitting in socal traffic when lanesplitting is impossible?

how long is too long to idle stationary?

everyine says how tough the engine is, about overheating?

It's not that the engine is "overheating". This motorcycle, stock, normally runs hot but within the normal range. I have never heard of one "overheating" as in so hot that engine damage could result. Don't worry about sitting at idle for a long time in socal weather, should be no problem.

Flea

It's not that the engine is "overheating". This motorcycle, stock, normally runs hot but within the normal range. I have never heard of one "overheating" as in so hot that engine damage could result. Don't worry about sitting at idle for a long time in socal weather, should be no problem.

Flea

It still amazes me how this can be so.

j.

j.

how so - look at a honda generator - the motor is FULLY encased in plastic - with no cooling fan - at the "right" RPM, the motion of the motor actually cools itself...or so they say. and I have not seen many generators fail.

j.

Not really....the engine isnt working very hard just sitting there idling....the fins radiate a good amount of heat. I thought that it was amazing that the the old school dirt bikes (air cooled) would run OK with the fins packed solid with mud.

I've got a geeky inclination to fit a small cyl head temp gauge (VDO makes one that reads off a washer-like sender under a spark plug).

Has anyone done this, and does anyone know what the normal CHT range should be on a DR 650? I guess it probably doesn't matter, but it would be nice to be able to keep an eye one things.

'Bout the only thing that overheats is my right shin,,,,

Mostly from the pipe I think

As far as gettin a temp reading , use one of those infrared point and read things,,, and if it was TOO HOT,, then what,,, turn it off and stop the oil flow?

Here's a hot pipe !

pablo_pulse1_small.jpg

yeah, good call: laser temp guns. i usually just spit on the engine and see how fast it evaporates.

I've got a geeky inclination to fit a small cyl head temp gauge (VDO makes one that reads off a washer-like sender under a spark plug).

Has anyone done this, and does anyone know what the normal CHT range should be on a DR 650? I guess it probably doesn't matter, but it would be nice to be able to keep an eye one things.

I fly behind air cooled engines all of the time. They have cht probes on every cylinder, along with egt, oil pressure, oil temp, fuel flow, turbo temp, and inter cooler temp. Normal range for a 260 hp six cylinder engine that is producing 75% power is about 250 and 450 degrees. If the Cht is running hotter that 400 degrees then you should jet your carb more rich. The extra fuel will cool the cylinder head as much as 100 degrees with out effecting power. In the airplane we use the fuel mixture to control cht. :thumbsup::ride:

I still think of the DR as a watercooled bike with no fan. It doesnt like sitting for long periods of time. You will eventually boil your oil, when this happens i suggest turning the bike off and then change the oil as soon as you get home.

Hasnt happened to me but while i was stuck in a jam once the bike got awfully hot, with the headers glowing brightly and my legs getting cooked.