Sign in to follow this  

Studable Sm Tires For Ice ?

:thumbsup: JUST WONDERING IF ANY ONE KNOWS OF ANY TIRES I COULD STUD FOR ICE RIDING?I HAVE AN 06 SM,AND LIVE ON A LAKE IN MAINE,SO I WOULD LIKE TO BE ABLE TO SET UP A TRACK ON MY LAKE TO PLAY RIDE THIS WINTER,BUT I DON'T REALLY WANT TO CHANGE RIMS AND ETC,ANY FEED BACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

^^^^ you dont have to yell to get a response.......

anyways if you do not want to change rims that will cut down your choices. there is a 17in knoby tire available but do not know depths of the knobs search 17in knobby in drz i think there are a couple people that have them

I live just off lake Huron in Michigan and...

Just an idea, but, get rid of the Deathwings and buy a nice set o' tires.

Keep the D-Wings and drive self tapping philips metal screws (with the round top), as many as needed, and whatever size, say 1.0 inch--use silicon(RTV) to cap the heads for added pad against the tube. Reapply to DRZ and have fun!!

I haven't tried it yet, but that is what I planned on doing.!?

I have taken an old knobbie and drilled out each knob with a 1/4" bit and run a 1/4" carrage bolt through the tire and use a washer and a stainless steel nut on the bolt and cut off excess w/ bolt cutters. For the front just use hex head sheet metal screws into each knob. Just make sure you dont use too long of screws and the tire is not too worn, or you will end up with hundereds of holes in your tube. You can use screws in the rear tire but the tend to spit out under a lot of power or on rocks.

I use stainless nuts because they last longer.

^^^^ you dont have to yell to get a response.......

anyways if you do not want to change rims that will cut down your choices. there is a 17in knoby tire available but do not know depths of the knobs search 17in knobby in drz i think there are a couple people that have them

Who makes this 17in knobby, I'd like to see it!

I was thinking of using a smaller 17inch rear knobby for the front and a larger one for the rear and put some ice specific screws in each and call it good enough. The 17inch front is the problem.

you can get ice screws in various lengths. Never tried them on sm tires but new tires have enough tread to install them directly into the blocks. Go with 1/2 jet-cut gold. Ice has to be perfectly clean. also good on snowmobile trails (hardpacked snow) with full knobs.

You should get a set of S wheels and run some trail borgs or make your own. If you have to bother with changing tires, whats the difference? I would rather have two sets of wheels than have to change tires for seasons.

You should get a set of S wheels and run some trail borgs or make your own. If you have to bother with changing tires, whats the difference? I would rather have two sets of wheels than have to change tires for seasons.

yeah, why bother changing tires, when you can just spend $800 on another set of wheels

yeah, why bother changing tires, when you can just spend $800 on another set of wheels

and have you ever priced Trelleborgs?, you'll be into well over 1000$ with wheels.

I see used S wheels going on ebay for $400-$500 a set. Make your own ice tires for the cost of the screws plus one of your used tires.

Who makes this 17in knobby, I'd like to see it!

Ebay # 180018456825