Sign in to follow this  

Oil Leak from copuntershaft sprocket

As stated in the title, I have what appears to be an oil leak that is dripping off the countershaft sprocket. It only does this if the bikes sits leaning to the left. Is there a seal on the clutch rod that could be bad?

Sorry if there is another post on something like this, but the website won't allow me to search even though I'm registered and activated.

yes there is a seal.after you split the cases you can change it. it goes in the case from the inside. :ride::applause:

just kidding it's a straight forward job, just take the sprocket off :thumbsup:

There is the outer seal and a little special V ring that goes under a bushing, you should replace all three. Seal, Vring and Bushing. All accesable from behind the sprocket.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to get out there and start taking it apart. I didn't realize there were seals right behind the sprocket itself. I've mainly done most of my work on street bikes, so am still learning all the parts of this 450.

The self lubing chain does sound tempting though. I've always been a bit lazy with it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll have to get out there and start taking it apart. I didn't realize there were seals right behind the sprocket itself. I've mainly done most of my work on street bikes, so am still learning all the parts of this 450.
You may just need to clean some dirt out. Before you go to the trouble of replacing the seal, read this thread (the 3rd post is where the issue of leaking countershaft seals comes up).

Well, I took the sprocket off and found the seal a bit torn, maybe by a previous owner I don't know. Tried to remove it but just mauled it up more. How do I remove this? It's the one with the arrow pointing at it on the pic.

IMG_0689a.jpg

Sorry it's a bit fuzzy, but my camera is all messed up and only works in full zoom when it wants too.

Well actually most of the time you can clean the dirt out of it. What it does is get dirt in the seal, causing a gap letting the oil too leak. Soo if you clean it like I have done on my 450 and 250 both leaking it will stop leaking. As long as the seal is not ripped,wornout. :thumbsup:

I wish that was the case, but it was a bit torn, and I mauled it up more myself trying to remove it. I'll have to get a pic to try and remove it. Should of just left it as a automatic chain luber.

Thanks for the replies guys, it helped me out a lot.

you guys are killing me. You were having problems pulling it out? Once you remove the collar and oring just pry it out with a screw driver and use the counter shaft as a fulcrum. Just feel around under the seal with the screw driver so that you dont drag the screwdriver on the case. it is super easy. Then push teh new seal in with your fingers, no need for a bearing/seal press. You want to even up the seal with the taper just past the lip of the engine case. If you push it all the way in so it touches the bearing it MIGHT cause premature wearing but mine is touching the bearing and i havent had a problem. Just fork out the 7 bucks anf get a new seal, dont go through all that trouble to clean it. It isnt a fork seal and there isnt a 30 bucks worth of oil behind it. I carry an extra seal in my tool kit just in case it starts leaking on the trail and i pop it out with a 10-12?mm and a screw driver

you guys are killing me. You were having problems pulling it out? Once you remove the collar and oring just pry it out with a screw driver and use the counter shaft as a fulcrum. Just feel around under the seal with the screw driver so that you dont drag the screwdriver on the case. it is super easy. Then push teh new seal in with your fingers, no need for a bearing/seal press. You want to even up the seal with the taper just past the lip of the engine case. If you push it all the way in so it touches the bearing it MIGHT cause premature wearing but mine is touching the bearing and i havent had a problem. Just fork out the 7 bucks anf get a new seal, dont go through all that trouble to clean it. It isnt a fork seal and there isnt a 30 bucks worth of oil behind it. I carry an extra seal in my tool kit just in case it starts leaking on the trail and i pop it out with a 10-12?mm and a screw driver

True it's cheap, but when your in a crunch and it's 12 am and you have a race the next day. You do what you hafe too do.. :thumbsup:

Tried prying it out with a screwdriver, but the rubber on the outside won't budge at all. I can get the inside to pry out, but it just rips it if I go further. It may just be one of those things I need to go back and try again. Was trying to grill and do this at the same time the other night haha.

Tried prying it out with a screwdriver, but the rubber on the outside won't budge at all. I can get the inside to pry out, but it just rips it if I go further. It may just be one of those things I need to go back and try again. Was trying to grill and do this at the same time the other night haha.

As "adrunkgerbil" said above, try screwing a sheetmetal screw into it and pulling it out. It works great!

As "adrunkgerbil" said above, try screwing a sheetmetal screw into it and pulling it out. It works great!
:thumbsup: