Sign in to follow this  

2006 YZ250.just got the bike... FMF shorty or PC R304?

Hey guys,

I know there was a post of a pipe test and it was stated that both silencers boosted the low end snap a bit. But I was wondering which silencer was better overall? As far as improvements to the bikes snap, sound, fit and finish etc. Also, did you have to make any jetting changes when you installed the silencer?

Thanks, Dave.

PS. My bro just got the bike a few days ago and its awsome, I really like it (I have an 05 crf450 too).

FMF Shorty is good stuff :thumbsup:

Stock pipe with FMF Shorty combo is where its at for me. PC R304 shorty works about the same, not as snappy though(my opinion) and sounds a little different. Either way they are better than the stocker if you are lookin for snap.

No jetting change for a silencer.

I have the same bike. I put on the Fatty Gold Series pipe w/ a shorty silencer, it seems pretty sick to me. :thumbsup:

I have the pro circuit shorty for my 06 yz. I dont especially care for it. It may add some snap down low. The bike really does not need that. I believe you lose rev on the top end with the short silencers. If I had to pick a weak area on the bike, it would have to be top end.

The Pro Circuit pipe will give you top end, bu tyou lose low end to get it. Many mods do that on this bike. The exception so far, for me, is a DEP pipe. This pipe gave a nice gain everywhere. My fmf factory fatty pipe pings.

The first step with your bike should be to get rid of that front tire. The thing is junk unless you ride on concrete.

Second I would jet the bike perfectly in stock form. This gives you a good baseline to decide if the pipe/silencer helped or hurt the machine.

It is very easy to change the pipes and silencers trackside. Take them ALL with you and test them on the same day. Its too hard to ride with one per week. They all tend to run together and stuff always gets better when its a memory.

Rcannon... your correct, if there is one wekaness its the top-end.

Although I think its mostly pipe related because when I use the 05 pipe it has a measureable amount of extra top-end, but it is a trade off. It looses some bottom to mid-range thrust.

I like the thrust so I stick with the 06 pipe for now... untill I can find a DEP pipe like you have for cheap!

I have the stock pipe and the LONG R-304. 99% of what I ride is outdoor motocross where top end is needed against the pesky 4-strokes. I am very pleased with the broad powerband with my current set up.

I have the pro circuit shorty for my 06 yz. I dont especially care for it. It may add some snap down low. The bike really does not need that. I believe you lose rev on the top end with the short silencers. If I had to pick a weak area on the bike, it would have to be top end.

The Pro Circuit pipe will give you top end, bu tyou lose low end to get it. Many mods do that on this bike. The exception so far, for me, is a DEP pipe. This pipe gave a nice gain everywhere. My fmf factory fatty pipe pings.

The first step with your bike should be to get rid of that front tire. The thing is junk unless you ride on concrete.

Second I would jet the bike perfectly in stock form. This gives you a good baseline to decide if the pipe/silencer helped or hurt the machine.

It is very easy to change the pipes and silencers trackside. Take them ALL with you and test them on the same day. Its too hard to ride with one per week. They all tend to run together and stuff always gets better when its a memory.

I thought my brother would have to change the front tire right away too. BUT.... the good thing is that on the canadian models they come with dunlop 755 tires front and back, which work well for the terrain we ride in.

Yeah, I noticed the bike does seem to not have a lot of top end, however likr you said, it has a lot of bottom end. So what I was thinking... maybe try a 48 tooth rear sprocket for more top end and add the shorty to equal out the bottom end? I'm not sure if it will work but we'll try it out.

Honestly, I'm kinda looking for a silencer that will also make the bike sound a bit better as its pretty tame in stock form.

I installed the Pro Circuit R-304 shorty a few weeks ago and I would agree that it gives my bike a little more snap down low. I also spent seven and a half hours at the track that day working on my jetting. Not because of the silencer, but just because my bike had starting running a little rich with the record temps we went through in July.

I have the stock pipe and the LONG R-304. 99% of what I ride is outdoor motocross where top end is needed against the pesky 4-strokes. I am very pleased with the broad powerband with my current set up.

How do you like the long r-304 silencer? Does it sound better than the stocker?

I stole this from another board. A guy asked David Vueilimin about the pipe/silencer combination he liked on his yz 250. Again, I stole this without permission. Sorry if it is not a nice thing to do. Then again, if it were classified, who would post it on the net???

Question....I remember reading in a article years ago (2000/2001) that you ran a FMF header and a Pro-circuit silencer on your YZ250. Why did you do that and was there a huge difference??

Answer......It was the best combo for me. I used a FMF pipe and PC silencer in 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05... I liked the power delivery and the torque of the FMF and I liked the snap of the PC silencer...

Based on some of the things I have seen DV12 write, he appears quite truthful. I cannot imagine pro circuit and fmf were thrilled with him not using complete systems from their companies.

If I ever become tall, fast, and of french heritage, I know which pipe and silencer I am using.

I stole this from another board. A guy asked David Vueilimin about the pipe/silencer combination he liked on his yz 250. Again, I stole this without permission. Sorry if it is not a nice thing to do. Then again, if it were classified, who would post it on the net???

Question....I remember reading in a article years ago (2000/2001) that you ran a FMF header and a Pro-circuit silencer on your YZ250. Why did you do that and was there a huge difference??

Answer......It was the best combo for me. I used a FMF pipe and PC silencer in 00, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05... I liked the power delivery and the torque of the FMF and I liked the snap of the PC silencer...

Based on some of the things I have seen DV12 write, he appears quite truthful. I cannot imagine pro circuit and fmf were thrilled with him not using complete systems from their companies.

If I ever become tall, fast, and of french heritage, I know which pipe and silencer I am using.

I bet that is a good combo. But, remember that DV's bikes were far from the steeds that us TT'rs have. His motors were full Yamaha factory. Gearboxes/Cylinder/Head/Carb as well as suspension.

One thing I do know however, is that you probably have that combo in your garage! If so, please give us a report.

Good point on the motor differences. I doubt dv dropped into the local shop and grabbed a bike off of the floor.

He said he used that combo for many years.

I do have that combo. I will try it this weekend.

How do you like the long r-304 silencer? Does it sound better than the stocker?

I didn't notice a sound difference but it has a tad more over-rev...which I like :thumbsup:

I still dont care for the fmf pipe. The bike pings wiht it on. I woudl not mind if I gained anything, but I dont. The short silencer makes the bike a little mor esnappy, but does give up some top end.

I imagine DV12's bike was ported for any sort of power he wanted. If so, the pipe may not have been so critical as it is to a stock engine.

Its a damn shame dep does not have the advertising budget of the big guys.

I ran a DEP on my 2006 yz250, and was not impressed, in fact, I think I may still have the pipe, the stock pipe, and a cut down stock silencer was the ticket for me. (cut 70mm off the end)

Hey guys,

I know there was a post of a pipe test and it was stated that both silencers boosted the low end snap a bit. But I was wondering which silencer was better overall? As far as improvements to the bikes snap, sound, fit and finish etc. Also, did you have to make any jetting changes when you installed the silencer?

Thanks, Dave.

PS. My bro just got the bike a few days ago and its awsome, I really like it (I have an 05 crf450 too).

I wish I was a good enough rider to tell the difference between the stock setup and the after market, dude why not run the stock until it needs replacing???

i have a flow exhaust pipe for sale.

best yz pipe i`ve ever used.

same pipe used by the zip-ty racing team on their 2smokes.

$125.00 +shipping

pipe is brand new.