Sign in to follow this  

CR85 parts on a CR80

Does anyone know what all changed from the CR80 to the CR85 I'm fixin up a 2001 CR80 for my kid and have found several parts that innerchange the reason I'm asking is there seems to be a lot more parts avalible for the 85,someone even said that the gas tank and rad. scroud off an 85 would work on the 80,if thats possible the kool graphics he wants would be easy to get.

Any comments

We combined a 2002 cr 80 and a 2005 cr 85.

Dang near everything switches over. The only spot we had trouble in was the 05 cylinder. The 05 and up cylinders are made for a different exhaust pipe. If you upgrade to an 05 cylinder, you will need a new pipe.

The seat and fenders switch over. The gas tank does as well.

Somewhere along the line the small end bearing changed. It became a few thousandths wider. I have no idea just why this change was made. We had reasonable success using either bearing.

I believe in any given year the only differences between the two is the size of the front wheel and the length of the swingarm.

I believe in any given year the only differences between the two is the size of the front wheel and the length of the swingarm.

These differences were not due to the specific year, but rather the model. Tdub

THANKS, guys

I just started working on this bike because my kid just is tall enough to ride it and it needs a few parts I've got several great deals off ebay and noticed that a lot of parts in the Dennis kirk catalog innerchanged so I did a serch on ebay for an 85 and found a lot of things I need but wanted to make sure they would fit.

Rcannon do you have the tank on yours,does the tank and scrouds look good on the bike because I found one complete for a reasonable price.

I can see that my post was unclear. What I mean is that comparing any 80 to an 85, both being of the same model year, the only difference would be the front wheel and the swingarm. :thumbsup:

I can see that my post was unclear. What I mean is that comparing any 80 to an 85, both being of the same model year, the only difference would be the front wheel and the swingarm. :thumbsup:

The standard 80/85 have NO differences...the Expert however has a longer swingarm and larger front and rear wheels.

Thanks again for all the replys this info will make my part search a lot easier just last nite I got a brand new chain guide complete assembly with roller and all which I needed for just $17.00 off e-bay, it was listed under CR85 parts,the assembly new from Honda cost over $60.00.

Yes, we did add the tank. I am not sure I would have bothered. The stock tank works just fine. The owner hated the fact that the stock tank had only one radiator shroud. The new tank drops right on and fixes that.

It does look cool. The bike looks just like any 04 and up cr 85.

:thumbsup: See what happens when yer an old geezer! I tried twice to say what FFracing said. Obviously there wouldn't be an 80 and 85 in the same model year, the differences would be between the standard and the expert models. :applause: Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet :ride:

:thumbsup: See what happens when yer an old geezer! I tried twice to say what FFracing said. Obviously there wouldn't be an 80 and 85 in the same model year, the differences would be between the standard and the expert models. :applause: Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the internet :ride:

The rear wheel size is different as well Tdub

Yes, we did add the tank. I am not sure I would have bothered. The stock tank works just fine. The owner hated the fact that the stock tank had only one radiator shroud. The new tank drops right on and fixes that.

I have an 02 CR 80 and purchased a newer tank, with the shrouds on both sides, and it DOES NOT FIT. The tank will just drop on, sure, but the mounts don't match up. You can make them fit if your good with a cutting torch and a mig welder :cheers:

Just thought I'd add this to clarify it for the next poor sap that tries this. :p

We also have an 01 big wheel and tried to swap tanks and found that the mounts on the tank didn't line up. We already knew this before hand as we looked at a friends 85 before we did it to see if the mounts lined up, and no go. But the frame decided to crack and we bought a 05 off of bbrmotorsports along with tank and shrouds and as of now you wouldn't be able to tell the difference from an 05 or 06 85 to the 2001 cr80 as we have had our 06 lined up next to it and all you could tell was the graphics and the pipe. Also try to pick up a flat slide carb, ebay usually has them for a decent deal. By doing so you will feel an instant increase in bottom end, off idle throttle response, and gain some mid to top end. Basically like everyone else said just about everything else from the 85 will mount up except the few things mentioned in posts above. Hope I helped.:cheers:

Wish I would read this post before I took the plunge for a new CR85 tank. I have an 02 CR80 expert and just tried the 03 CR85 expert tank. There were two part numbers for the tanks. 17510-GBF-K20 and 17510-GBF-K00. I got the K20 and it does not fit the 02 CR80. The mounts do not line up. Does anyone know if the K00 will fit. RCANNON, can you elaborate on what part etc. you used to make yours work.

My friend that did the conversion is an excellent welder. I believe he set up some brackets to permently mount the tank.

I did not watch him do this, but it dod not take long.

After looking at it again. I think I'll do the same. Does not look to be that difficult to make some brackets. Everything else seems to fit. I have mocked it up without mounting it and looks good.

does anyone know the length from the center of the pivot to the absolute end of teh expert swinger, im just trying to make sure i got an expert swingarm. thanks!!

A quick note everybody:

My 13 yr. old is looking to sell:

2002 cr80 wheel set(front/back): brand new never used(not an expert)

with new rubber,bearings and axle.

Also an extra front wheel set-up too. Used Very little with rubber/axle/bearing

and all.

Also, a New swingam with axle/bearings and all.

Also, a Excel black rim/bulldog over-sized spokes set ups.(front and back,

but no rubber).Has bearings and all. This set up look okay...in other words..

..could look better.

My son is just looking to get some extra $$$$, so if someone would like them,

Please PM me.

Thanks!!

Does anyone know what all changed from the CR80 to the CR85 I'm fixin up a 2001 CR80 for my kid and have found several parts that innerchange the reason I'm asking is there seems to be a lot more parts avalible for the 85,someone even said that the gas tank and rad. scroud off an 85 would work on the 80,if thats possible the kool graphics he wants would be easy to get.

Any comments

So the tank will switch over My son has a 97 expert with 02 motor but he likes the new look on the 85