K & N Crankcase Ventilation kit

Hi,

Just purchased a crankcase ventilation kit. The kit consistes of the filter and cleaning agent.

One end of the filter has a hollow metal tube which I assume inserts into the breather tube, and the other is sealed with a screw thread and locknut.

Trouble is I can't work out how it attaches and where; especially the screw thread.

On the XR 400 there is a piece of tube about 2" long that exits the crankcase and enters a 'T' piece of plastic tubing. From one end of the 'T' piece a length of tubing goes upwards and loops over the top left of the subframe. From the other end a piece of tubing goes down and exits near the rear wheel with a flattened end.

Do I remove all of this tubing from the crankcase and start again with a new piece of tubing, or attach the filter to the bottom length of tubing and then the filter to the frame, or to the top length of tubing and then the filter to the frame?

What is the screwthread and locknut for?

When I asked XR'sOnly they replied:

"You will need to have about 16 inches if tubing and hook one end of the breather to the tube and the other end to the case. You can hold the breather on with ¾” clamps and zip tie the filter to the frame." ?

Has anyone fitted one of these and can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

You can make a bracket from aluminum to attach to the frame then attach the filter to it using the threaded piece. This is how I did my crankcase breather, I would assume this is how they are directing you to attach it. I zip tied it to the subframe and tucked it in above the shock reservoir just behind the airbox.

Crankcasebreather.jpg

On the XR 400 there is a piece of tube about 2" long that exits the crankcase and enters a 'T' piece of plastic tubing. From one end of the 'T' piece a length of tubing goes upwards and loops over the top left of the subframe. From the other end a piece of tubing goes down and exits near the rear wheel with a flattened end.

Do I remove all of this tubing from the crankcase and start again with a new piece of tubing, or attach the filter to the bottom length of tubing and then the filter to the frame, or to the top length of tubing and then the filter to the frame?

What is the screwthread and locknut for?

Yes remove all the stock tubing and plug the hole in the air cleaner box. Then do what Rockjocky did or zip tie the filter to the front of the air box under the seat that is what I did. sorry no pics.

I have no idea what the screwthread and locknut are for.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/xrMike/dirtbike/xr400/mods/CrankBreatherMods1.jpg

The dotted line shows routing of the breather tube, from down where it plugs onto the crankcase, up to where it plugs into the filter element, which is positioned under the seat, in front of the air inlet on top of the airbox.

The little red thing with small circle around it is a vacuum line cap that plugs up the nipple in the front of the airbox. (the original breather tubing also plugged onto that same nipple).

If you don't plug the nipple, you'll be sucking unfiltered, dirty air directly into your motor.

Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. What I did was leave the present tubing and connections in place, block off the lower tube that exits near the swingarm, then attach the filter to the upper tube.

The nipple on my bike was already blocked off - probably a European thing compared to the American model.

Thanks,