Sign in to follow this  

"fixing" plastics on my DR650

I bought a used DR some months ago, and have since dropped the bike on numerous occasions. I also have a 1996 XR600R which has some pretty worn plastics. The question is, is there a way to take fenders, side panel, headlight cover, etc, off my dirt bikes and restore them to look similar to new plastics? My white rear fender has some brown spots and many scratches on it. As do all my plastic parts really. Is there some method of sanding them to remove the scratches and blemishes, and a way to bring the original color back, or make the white "brighter" than it currently is? Painting, staining, bleaching, etc?

I could always buy new plastics, but they are not cheap, and will soon be scuffed and faded just like the old parts.

The plastic gas tank on the 1996 Honda XR looks just awful, and has turned into this yellowish looking thing. The DR is my primary bike though, and I am more interested in having the thing just look nicer as far as the plastics go.

Thanks for any advice.

You can sand them down to get the deep scratches out but they will loose their glose finish, you can put a clear coat finish on them though, however you will probably have to repeat this alot to keep looking good. I''ve never tried those 2 products. a good way to get the dirt out of the scratches and surface is to use a tough Car wax and really rub it into the plastic, and use a clean towel and tooth pick to get it off. One way to make the plastic look smoother without alot of work is take a razor and shave the shreds and pieces of plastic off where they stick up from the scratches so that they are smooth and don't feel like a cheese shredder. Either way they will never look "As good as new" but those are some ways to clean them up alot.