Sign in to follow this  

Painting dirt bike plastics

Hi, I currently own a 2000 kawasaki ke100 and was wondering if it would be possible to paint the plastics change the color from lime green to metallic orange.

Could I use a high grade spray paint they sell at walmart or use a air brush, and would the paint stay on or just fall off any tips on how to do this would be appreciated.

Another thing what would be a good site to get some good quality hand guards for the dirtbike?

thanks.

I tried it..It sucks...Scratches real easy looks like shiot..You probably could Handguards through the thumper talk store or Rocky moutain supply..

You could try. Sand them with 320 paper before spraying and maybe try and adhesion promoter.

I doubt it will work very well however. The plastic they use isn't meant to hold paint, it's very flexible. More then likely it will look good for a little while but quickly begin to peel, crack, and chip.

I was wondering the same thing for my seat cover. But IMO it sounds like it is a bad idea and the paint would come off pretty easy. But if you end up trying it, tell me how it works out.

Handguards are available at the TT store.

what you want to use is the new Krylon plastic paint. its a spray paint where the molecules bond right to the plastic to form one. ive seen people do it to their quads with good success. you'll have to wash your plastics well and sand them down with a fine grit sandpaper to make sure that the top level of natural oil and greese is removed i beleive.

They guy who had my bike before me painted my sideplates black and at first it was rubbing off a lot. It held the paint but with wear the paint would come off. I just touched it up and shot clear coat over it and I haven't had a problem since.

Hi, I currently own a 2000 kawasaki ke100 and was wondering if it would be possible to paint the plastics change the color from lime green to metallic orange.

Could I use a high grade spray paint they sell at walmart or use a air brush, and would the paint stay on or just fall off any tips on how to do this would be appreciated.

Another thing what would be a good site to get some good quality hand guards for the dirtbike?

thanks.

I think you should go to a paint shop and ask them, even sherwin williams. I use to paint allot at a job when I was younger, and it is all about the primer and paint. I did't do the buying, only the painting. There are primers that etch the plastic surface which helps bond the paint. There are paints for plastic that stay flexible and won't crack.

Good Luck!

You can sand it with fine sand paper then prime it then put on the color then put on a few coats of clear and u should be fine(all with krylon). But its impossible to do a gas tank I think.

I just did it to my wife's XR200. I used Krylon Plastic paint and it is chipping off already after a week. The tank is a horrible mess. The paint and new decals don't stick because the fumes must seep through the tank. Overall, painting was a joke.

I painted my number plate once and it was a wast of my time. the paint started to peel of and it looked real bad.

thanks.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no.

there have been so many threads on this topic do a search

Use a paint designed for plastic. I painted my son's XR-100 side covers, they look great with no pealing. You can find "plastic paint" or "plastic dye" in most auto stores. I used the brand carried by Pepboys. I cleaned the area to be painted with acetone first.

As a side note, I redesigned my kitchen and needed a black dishwasher. Short on funds, I drove to Pepboys and bought a can of black plastic paint and a can of black metal paint. I took the front of the dishwasher apart and began painting. There isn't any peeling or fading after six months.

Bottom line, purchase paint designed for plastic, prep it with a good cleaner/degreaser, and it will look fine.

Good luck, Steve.

i am the manager at a body shop. i painted my plastics on my cr125. i did it house of kolor white with red metal flake. it looked really good except for i cut my plastics and wish i woulda just left them alone. the paint actually lasted way longer than i expected. actually its still ok, except for i wrecked and broke my front fender. paint still didnt peel. the only problem i had was on the radiator shrouds where my knees rubbed, it just discolored it a little. the way i did it would be kind of expensive for someone who doesnt have the connections.

i am the manager at a body shop. i painted my plastics on my cr125. i did it house of kolor white with red metal flake. it looked really good except for i cut my plastics and wish i woulda just left them alone. the paint actually lasted way longer than i expected. actually its still ok, except for i wrecked and broke my front fender. paint still didnt peel. the only problem i had was on the radiator shrouds where my knees rubbed, it just discolored it a little. the way i did it would be kind of expensive for someone who doesnt have the connections.

post some pics man

:thumbsup:

what you want to use is the new Krylon plastic paint. its a spray paint where the molecules bond right to the plastic to form one. ive seen people do it to their quads with good success. you'll have to wash your plastics well and sand them down with a fine grit sandpaper to make sure that the top level of natural oil and greese is removed i beleive.

I used the krylon on my dr650 and it seems tough so far.. it says for unweathered plastics you should knock down the shine with paint thinner but if its a old plastic (over a year id say) go ahead and just wash and spray!:thumbsup:

The trick to painting plastic is the right paint and the right prep. If you use a polyurethane paint, wet sand with 440, and flame oxidize the part, you should have excellent results.:thumbsup:

http://s243.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/518nyrider/?action=view&current=danblaster004.jpg

painted in the spring of 06 and still holding up fine. with plastic you have to go to a way fined sand paper than you would with metal. i believe i went up to 1000 grit and then sprayed the color. you should try use krylon fusion because it is made for plastic so it can flex. inbetween every coat of color wet sand with 1000 grit and then you can spray again. once your all done with the color(5-6 coats) you can spray the clear on. i only did about two coats of clear and its holding up fine. hope this helped

I agree Krylon Fusion is good stuff. It is tough too, holds up to scratches. Never painted bike plastics, but I have painted other plastics. No sanding, no primer, and 3 years later, no chipping, scratching, or peeling.