Sign in to follow this  

CFR 70 Cracked Case

Hi,

I have a crack in my case.. Has anyone ever fixed a crack themselves? Is it reasonable to weld it? I am assuming it is cast aluminum. Has anyone ever used JB Weld or other epoxy to do this?

Thx,

Brian

Yea, JB weld it if you want it to break again very soon.

The only correct way to fix it, is to take the motor out of the frame and have it Tig Welded. Any other method is going to result in more headaces later.

Depending upon where the crack is - you can possibly have it heli-arc welded.

Is it a "crack" or a hole? Where is it located - if it's right where two surfaces mate, that gets tougher as it has to be welded and you have to file it perfectly to make sure the cases meet up perfectly etc...

In a low stress place JB Weld can work - I've seen cases that were JB welded around the countershaft area where a chain was thrown and it lasted for years - but the catch is the case has to be 100% clean and free of any oil residue, so it has to be cleaned really well with a good contact cleaner such as HONDA CONTACT CLEANER not cheap brake cleaner that leaves a residue.

Good luck.

Mike

Mike

Thanks for the tips.. The crack is about 2.5" long on the bottom of the motor not near a mounting bracket or plug, etc.. I will try the JB Weld as that is what is it for, and the 70 is really a spare pit bike. Thinking I will grind a groove over the crack to make a place for the material to bond besides cleaning the area.. ..

Let you know how it goes..

Thx,

Brian