Sign in to follow this  

What to buy for my son

I'm looking to upgrade my son from a XR 80 R to either a CR 85 Expert or a KTM 85 big wheel. Is the KTM worth the extra price of admission? How is availability on parts and if need be major service. Durability?

I know that I can find bits and dealers for Red all day long. Will I regret going with KTM due to lack of dealer base?

I'm pretty self sufficent on general maintenance so that doesn't worry me too much.

Any feedback would be a big help.

Thanks,

Chuck

Between the honda and the ktm, i would pick the honda. BUT, i would recommend a rm85L. they are alot easier to ride because they powerband doesnt hit as hard.

Go with the KTM. Visit the KTM website for a list of dealers in your area. www.ktmusa.com. If there is sufficient support in your area you won't be disapointed.

Wow!

Are you sure he's ready?

You're going from a Pinto to a Mazarati. :thumbsup:

I buy all of our KTM parts via internet mail order. Thats for my youngest sons 50 Sr and older sons 85SX and soon my 200XC. For me parts availability at the local dealer for anything other than a spark plug or an inner tube is a waist of time. Having owned multiple jap bikes over the years it seems pretty much nobody stocks parts anymore. On another note consider a bike with a power valve (KTM, Kaw or Suz) if you want it to have any kind of low-end. The Honda and Yamaha do not have power-valves and really favor more aggressive and faster riders. We came off an 04 KX85 with an aftermarket shock and $1,200 in suspension work and it still doesn`t compare with the KTM out of the box.

go with the honda i ride ktm but the 85 honda is a little better as far as maintenance cost etc. plus the power is more managable the ktm is a tourge monster and switching fron an xr to a ktm is like going from a 125 cr to a 450sx