Sign in to follow this  

Oil Drain Plug trouble

okay, first of all, I'm an idiot.

now that that's out of the way, maybe someone can help me.

I had a lefty loosey righty tighty moment with my oil drain plug and (it being upside down) stripped it. no big deal I thought, I went to the dealer and got a new one, but when I put it in it wouldn't snug up. it just spins. please someone help an idiot out.

also, I changed the oil, lubed and adjusted the chain, cleaned and oiled the air filter and I'm having some power issues. the power just dies at about 3/4 throttle, just fades out almost completely. it pulls fine from the bottom, but then the power fades very, very noticably. I'm sure tuning has been covered in many, many threads so if you just want to reply with a good search query to use, I'd appreciate that very much too!

Take the old drain plug to a local auto parts store such as Auto Zone and tell them you need a metric replacement that's over sized. They make them in steps, first over sized, second over sized, third over sized. By the sounds of it, you'll need to start with second over. The new plug cuts new threads as it goes in. Go slowly, keeping plenty of oil on the plug. Screw it in a couple turns, then remove, clean off any chips, oil it good, then go in a little more.

As for the running problem, start off by cleaning the inside of the carb good. While at Auto Zone, grab a can of Gumout carb cleaner. If that doesn't help, get back with us.

the dealer wants to put some kind of wire coil in it, after drilling it out... does that sound like a good way to go?

the dealer wants to put some kind of wire coil in it, after drilling it out... does that sound like a good way to go?

The "Helicoil" that the dealer want's to install is the best way to do it without a doubt. I'm not sure if he will want to split the cases, which will cost you over $3-400 in labor. Maybe he can do it without splitting the cases, but will still cost you an hour labor which will be $50 - $60. The over sized plug trick will cost you $7 or $8.