Sign in to follow this  

Gas milage?

I just bought a 2006 yz 250 a week ago and right now I am trying to figure out what it gets for gas milage. I understand the stock tank is 2.11 gallons but now I have a Clarke 3.9 gallon tank for hare scrambles and extended rides. I have not been on a ride in the past week with someone who has an odometer so I was wondering what peopl eon here usually get for milage to the tank.

on my 03 yz125, i have the exact same tank.. 3.9 clarke tank.. and when i went to WV a few weeks ago.. i got 40 miles to the town we were giong to. and 40 miles back.. so i was left with like 1/8 of a tank left after ~80 miles..

unless you are an aa harescrambler you shouldnt need much more that a 3.1, i have that on my 05yz, im a b rider and have raced as long as 2:36 min. and have about another 4-5 miles worth in the tank!

I do not plan on filling the tank all the way when I am in a race. I can fill it to 3 gallons and not have to pit. I think that the 30 second pit could save me some valuable time. The extended capacity is mostly for trails and for practice. Although dirtkid's input is appreciated, is there anyone on a 250 that can say I went x miles on y amount of gas?

yz scrambler: Do you know how many miles each lap was in that race? How many total laps did you do?

I am at altutude so I am running a little leaner. I can go 45miles of hard core trail riding with the stocker unless it's really deep sand. And that 45 miles is with a lot of climbing and elevation gains.

At sea level it's safe to say that the YZ250 will easily go 35 miles and probably closer to 40 miles or more.

3.1 would be good for 60 and the 3.9 close to 80. Again, if your on the main jet most of the time like in the dunes, it will be probably 20% less MPG.

Hope that helps.

KH

really depends on what your riding and how you ride..I have a stock tank I normally get round 50, with sloerw trail riding 65 would be easy. Now sand dunes is another thing..I could only get about 25 miles if i was lucky

yz scrambler: Do you know how many miles each lap was in that race? How many total laps did you do?

i think it was just a shade under 10 miles an i turned 5 laps !!

Thanks for all of the input guys. Much appreciated.

I have the 12L clarke tank on my yz250, I get about 120km before I hit reserve and then about another 15km for general trail riding. Racing is a bit less, maybe about the 100km mark before hitting reserve.