Sign in to follow this  

XR250's

I think I'm planning on buying one once i sell my TTR. I should have about $2200 to spend on the bike or bike and mods. I was looking at mods on XR's Only but are there anyother sites that have XR parts? Especially aftermarket plastics. Also, is there a fork swap you can do on these? (like YZ85 forks on a TTR125) I'd like any info I can get on these bikes. I don't race MX but have taken my bike on the track just barely getting air on some jumps, and this was not a good track (the tracks at Haspin Acres if anyone knows what I mean) Also, whats the seat hieght on this bike?

Most of the major plastics companies all make aftermarket plastics for the XR250, Acerbis, UFO, Maier, etc. I have a Maier MX rear fender on mine and a Honda factory CRF450 front fender trimmed down a little. I have also found several after market parts on ebay and I also use Dennis Kirk, www.denniskirk.com. The are some front fork swaps but I don't know of one that swaps straight out without modifications. I would suggest respringing the front forks instead of a swap, much cheaper :thumbsup: There are plenty of aftermarket parts for the XR250. When you buy XR250 stay 1996-up, more parts, better bike. :ride:

The L model is the version that comes from the manufacturer street legal. It has many different components including a different carburetor and different exhaust. I believe it may also have a metal tank (?)

Someone else can better point out the differences I'm sure, but that gives you an idea. Basically the L is the street legal version and the R is dirt only version.

2200 you should be able to get newer than 96. I just saw an 03' with an aloop kit, cycras, exhaust and many other mods for 2500 obo. I came off a TTR125 to an XR250 and I've loved it. There were times where I thought about selling it and getting a 250F or smoker but alot of that is bling factor. Everyone wants a bike that other people want and to many the XR just doesn't have the cool factor.

I got a '96 almost identical to the ad you linked too, and it had a 280 kit. ALL for $1600. I think if its been taken care of age isn't much of an issue between '96 and '04. I think the 280 is under powered for a fork swap. I think if your worried about suspension beyond modified stock, get a different bike(wr250f) and loss some weight too. That's the big problem with XR's, they are so indestuctable they don't turn. :thumbsup:

Im pretty sure i saw a post from you in the Kawasaki section also. I have a 2006 KDX200, while my dad has a 2001 XR250R. While riding them side by side, i must say. The KDX has a much lighter feeling. And much more power all around. I myself am 14, 5'9, 165 pounds. I can handle both bikes fine. But when it comes down to it, im glad i got the KDX. I also upgraded from a TTR125L also. So I was in the same boat as you before i got my bike. Good luck with your decision.

Mixing gas and oil isnt a big deal at all. Its not like its rocket science. And in the long run. The performance you get with the KDX is so much better then the XR.

I have an 87 RM250 (smoker), and have owned a couple XR4's, love them both for different reasons. The smoker is MUCH lighter/flickable and easier to start, and the powerband is addictive. The XR will chug up anything, and last forever.

Mixing gas is no big deal at all, and I kinda like the smell & noise from the smoker too. Maintenance is about the same between them. It takes about the same amount of time to do a topend on a smoker and a valve adjustment on an XR. Both are easier and cheaper to maintain than a newer high-strung thumper.

You can also find used smokers in great shape for next to nothing these days, so get both! :thumbs:

Alright, i rode my KDX today. And my dad's XR250R. Go with the KDX. Definately. Once you go from a KDX to an XR. The XR seems so dogish. Its a great trailbike, no doubt. But for the money, the KDX's performance is unbeatable.

Alright, i rode my KDX today. And my dad's XR250R. Go with the KDX. Definately. Once you go from a KDX to an XR. The XR seems so dogish. Its a great trailbike, no doubt. But for the money, the KDX's performance is unbeatable.

The bikes require 2 different riding styles but are pretty similar otherwise. I have a '97 xr250r and a '00 kdx 200....both have some goodies. Both turn better than any other bike I've ridden. Both are undersuspended, both are cheap, and both will run forever. My xr is street legal with a baja kit and that wasn't really an option for the kdx. The kdx is a little zippy and I find myself riding "turn to turn". The xr makes smoothe power and likes to roll on out of the corners. You'll find all the aftermarket you can stand for either bike. You can't go wrong with either one.

Mine is a XR250R and yet it has mounts for turn signals!:applause: Anyway... I went from a ttr125l to a xr250 and yet i still ride the ttr a little simply cause it handles good.:applause:

Well what do you think, should I get that XR? Or should I not even get a XR.

Buy the bike that best suits what terrain you ride, not what looks cool. If you like fast open stuff then a motocrosser or CRF may be best. If you like tight woods and technical with

knarly hill climbs, logs and rocks that require gobs of bottom end then look at the XR. I bought a KTM200 because everyone said it was the best woods bike you can get. I could not ride it it in the woods. Every time I gave it gas it pulls a wheelie, fast as hell! It would be great to race but trail riding was not what it was made for. I would have had to spend $300-400 on stuff to slow it down! Went back to my log pullin XR250 big bore.